Missing information: Thomas Creek Trailhead

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
thomasr

Missing information: Thomas Creek Trailhead

Post by thomasr » July 5th, 2018, 8:28 am

First, let me just say that I am a new member and really appreciate this website.

Now, in the spirit of giving back. My son and I went to the Thomas Lake Trailhead (#111) yesterday. If you let google guide you to the trailhead from Portland, it will take you via NF-65 past panther creek falls. I think this matches the description posted on the website. The bad news is that NF-65 is closed (bridge/culvert is gone) roughly 2 to 2.5 miles prior to the trailhead. Fortunately, given current water levels it was relatively easy to scramble across some boulders and hike the gravel road up to the trailhead.

Note: The original plan was to hike to Blue Lake and stay overnight, but the last 1/2 mile of the trail was basically underwater so we turned back. Also, the swarms of mosquitoes were not completely dissuaded even with a combination of 100% deet on exposed skin and Permethrin treated clothing so we decided to turn it into a day hike. Anyway, the weather was nice and we only saw one other group on the trail so it was still fun.

retired jerry

Re: Missing information: Thomas Creek Trailhead

Post by retired jerry » July 5th, 2018, 8:35 am

I added a note to field guide, thanks

Long sleeve shirt and pants are good for mosquitoes. And sun protection.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 5th, 2018, 10:32 am

I added alternate directions (via FR 6507).

drm

Post by drm » July 29th, 2018, 8:29 am

This was washed out and fixed last year, and washed out again over the winter, though not as bad as before. Seems that a better fix is needed, though who knows when or if that will happen. Lots of similar situations across the forest.