All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by Chip Down » June 11th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Dammit, Karl! I should have gone up there 6/2! So is that as high as you went? I suppose so, or you would have posted more details. Funny, now I'm actually looking forward to the predicted heat wave. Oh well, when August comes, I'll be complaining there's no snow left. :lol:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 11th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 5:17 pm
Dammit, Karl! I should have gone up there 6/2! So is that as high as you went? I suppose so, or you would have posted more details. Funny, now I'm actually looking forward to the predicted heat wave. Oh well, when August comes, I'll be complaining there's no snow left. :lol:
Ooooh, yeah, 6/2 was a beaut! Born2BBrad and I looped Mississippi Head that day.

About 7150', just before turning east to crest Mississippi Head. 6/2/18

We did decide at 6000' that we'd had enough fun for the day, especially given it was pouring rain below 4200', and the views were as good as they'd get. This stuff will melt out really fast, though. See the photos link in my sig, for more shots from either day. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 14th, 2018, 8:10 pm

St Helens NOAA forecast now shows chance of snow Saturday. Imagine snow on St Helens two June weekends in a row!
Strangely, just rain on Hood, even up higher. But here's where it really gets weird: Rainier forecast shows chance of snow Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday...but bad news if you're going up on Tuesday: forecast says "sunny".

I know this thread isn't intended for discussions of forecasts, but I thought this was worth sharing.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 15th, 2018, 4:54 am

Chip Down wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 8:10 pm
St Helens NOAA forecast now shows chance of snow Saturday. Imagine snow on St Helens two June weekends in a row!
Strangely, just rain on Hood, even up higher. But here's where it really gets weird: Rainier forecast shows chance of snow Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday...but bad news if you're going up on Tuesday: forecast says "sunny".

I know this thread isn't intended for discussions of forecasts, but I thought this was worth sharing.
That's just messed up. Gotta be a glitch? My goto source for MSH...

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/2549
Attachments
capture.png
Karl

drm

Post by drm » June 16th, 2018, 5:44 am

Looks like the snotel on Mt Hood went to zero a few days ago, weeks before average. What do people think this portends for a mostly free TT loop, or for PCT on the south and west side?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 16th, 2018, 6:29 am

TT north of Mt Hood melts off later, like next to Dollar Lake

and the high point near Cooper Spur

and then wait a couple weeks for the stream flow to decline

hot the next few days should do a lot of melting

Wyeast pal

Post by Wyeast pal » June 17th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Burnt Lake - no snow at all.
Agree with general tread that things are melting out earlier than normal.
Shep at Burnt Lk.jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 17th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Loowit Trail (St Helens) June 17
From Worm Flows to June Lake junction: Bare.
From June Lake junction towards Shoestring Glacier: A few patches. No cause for concern. Even by headlamp, I was pretty comfortable finding the trail. I didn't go all the way to Shoestring Canyon, so can't tell you what's lurking there.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 19th, 2018, 10:14 am

Loowit Trail, June 18, from Monitor Ridge to Worm Flows... Not so bare. Steeply pitched snowbanks in ravines closer to Monitor Ridge, and a significant section (1/4-mile?) under 4-8 feet of snow in a featureless tree-covered stretch (see arrow) that requires good off-trail nav skills.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Trail buried along red section at arrow.
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 24th, 2018, 2:05 pm

I went up Paradise Park and Yocum Ridge 6/22/2018.

Snow on PCT below Paradise Park above 5500 feet or so. Places where it was hard to find where the trail goes, and there were places it was pretty steep - could have been difficult if it had been cooler and it froze. I walked on the ridge that goes by split rock, up to 6800 feet or so without problem.

Snow on Yocum Ridge above about 5500 feet. I almost made it to the ridge at 6200 feet but there were a couple steep snow slopes. Again, if it had been cooler it could have gotten icy which would have been difficult.