Indian Heaven: Thomas lake TH to Blue lake. Snow levels??

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
JerDerv

Indian Heaven: Thomas lake TH to Blue lake. Snow levels??

Post by JerDerv » June 5th, 2018, 6:22 am

Wanting to backpack this trail before the mosquitoes are in full swing.

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Blue_Lake_Hike

Does anyone know a ranger station i can call or a website i can use to find out what the snow is like up there?? Any experience with the area this time of year? I tried last year i think in early May and i had to turn around due to snow.

Hoping to go this weekend, Thanks!

justpeachy

Re: Indian Heaven: Thomas lake TH to Blue lake. Snow levels??

Post by justpeachy » June 5th, 2018, 7:48 am

You are very likely to encounter snow and soggy muddy trails there in June.

Here is some helpful info: viewtopic.php?t=26534

And Washington Snotel Data: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nr ... 2p2_046350

drm

Post by drm » June 5th, 2018, 8:59 am

FS website reported Thomas Lakes trailhead open but just recently. I expected Thomas Lakes are probably just patchy. But Blue Lake is a bit of a trek and goes over higher ground to get there. The Surprise Lakes snotel which is between the two in altitude and is just NE of IH is a good thing to watch and it says it has 20" of snow still. A heat wave could melt that in less than a week but no heat wave is forecast. If you're looking for mostly snowfree access to Blue Lake, I wouldn't expect that till late June. Then it will be soggy. Then it will be buggy. You know the drill. :lol:

You would call the ranger station in Trout Lake for the best info or check the GPNF website recreation page, which is better than average when it comes to Forest Service condition webpages.

poppacouch

Post by poppacouch » July 18th, 2019, 11:46 am

Made this trip (Thomas Lake TH to Blue Lake) on 7/16. No snow remaining. Mosquitoes are out, heavy at the trailhead and around for most of the walk in. But with bug spray, didn't cause any problems for us. The evening and next morning were fairly breezy, and then misty, so mosquitoes were rarely seen, until back at the TH, when they again swarmed us and into our car...

First time up in Indian Heaven. It was gorgeous. The meadows and numerous lakes were just beautiful. Huckleberries everywhere (not yet ready to eat though), maybe another 3-4 weeks and it's gonna be some good pick'n up there! Can't wait to go back.