Deep Lake, Indian Heaven, 10-6

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Excursionista

Deep Lake, Indian Heaven, 10-6

Post by Excursionista » October 9th, 2009, 12:34 am

I hiked Indian Heaven on Tuesday (Cultus Creek Campground TH to Cultus Lake and Deep Lake). Our goal was just to get out there - escape the city and see some beautiful scenery. This short but sweet trail never disappoints, climbing fast to a spectacular viewpoint and then leveling out through forest and meadows before reaching Cultus Lake and the well-signed side-trail to Deep Lake.
IMG_3494.jpg
Mt Adams from the trail
IMG_3498.jpg
Mt Rainier from the trail
Last year, in late October, the fall colors along Panther Creek (30) were outstanding, and the huckleberries were deep red and yellow. Strangely, this year, there were no colors along Panther Creek and yet the huckleberries in Indian Heaven were past peak fall colors. That's a decent elevation difference, but it still seems odd. Great color, nevertheless.
IMG_3582.jpg
Fall colors in a meadow on the trail to Deep Lake
IMG_3548.jpg
Deep Lake and sunlight - a fine combination!
Only saw two other people, and they were hiking out. The weather, in contrast to another recent trip report, was clear, crisp, and bright. I'd love to see Indian Heaven in the snow, but I'd really love to have another few weeks of this October weather.
IMG_3531.jpg
Deep Lake
Total hiking was about 4.8 miles and around 1100ft of elevation gain. A quick hike, and yet still worth the drive. And if it matters to you... Walking Man Brewery in Stevenson is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so no post-hike growlers if you have those days off!

MrUncas

Re: Deep Lake, Indian Heaven, 10-6

Post by MrUncas » October 9th, 2009, 10:24 am

Beautiful! We are thinking about heading up to Blue Lake on Saturday.

meana39

Re: Deep Lake, Indian Heaven, 10-6

Post by meana39 » October 11th, 2009, 10:21 am

Gorgeous photos! I love the sunlit water one.....have hiked down that trail but never up.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir