Starvation Ridge Trail #414

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
bobcat

Starvation Ridge Trail #414

Post by bobcat » May 24th, 2018, 7:55 am

The Mt. Defiance/Starvation Ridge Trail system was not worked on during the fire closure. Most hikers parking at the Starvation Trailhead are doing the lower loop. While the poison oak was always bad there, it is overhanging the trail in many places now so, even if you recognize it, you can't avoid touching it. Trails on this lower loop really need to be brushed back two - three feet from the tread.

Specifically:

1. Starvation Ridge Trail #414 from the junction with the Mt. Defiance Trail to the junction with the Starvation Ridge Cutoff Trail #414B.

2. Starvation Ridge Cutoff Trail #414B from the junction with the HCRH Trail to the Starvation Ridge Trail (There's the sketchy slide crossing on the lower end of this trail as well).

Don Nelsen

Re: Starvation Ridge Trail #414

Post by Don Nelsen » May 24th, 2018, 8:20 am

No kidding about the PO! I hiked this yesterday and I think it's worse than it's ever been. Higher up, it gets even worse. This photo was taken about the 1,300' level.

Unavoidable for sure:

I used a lot of Tecnu when I got home.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » May 25th, 2018, 6:46 am

Hiked the trail Wednesday and I confirm about the PO. I had decided to wear short hiking pants and regretted it after seeing how much PO was on the trail. The middle section did seem to be the worst. The upper part had little to none. As it turns out, 2 days later, no signs of PO effects on my skin. :) Had a nice cooling shower/hail that dropped the temps about 15 degrees as we approached Warren Lake. Conversely on the way down, as soon as we got into the sun again, the temps rose about the same amount.
This was a great work out hike....
IMG_7313.JPG
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » May 25th, 2018, 7:10 am

So is the Mt. Defiance Trail #413 cleared of poison oak, or at least less poison oaky than the Starvation Ridge Trail?
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 25th, 2018, 9:29 am

Born2BBrad wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 7:10 am
So is the Mt. Defiance Trail #413 cleared of poison oak, or at least less poison oaky than the Starvation Ridge Trail?
There is some but it is avoidable if you pay close attention. Most of it is on the section of trail between tunnel falls and the first switchback. The burned section starts at switchback # 8 (about 850' elevation) so that's the end of it.

BTW, the burned section of trail is 2.9 miles and abruptly ends at about 4,050' el.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » May 25th, 2018, 9:55 am

Thanks Don! Chase and I are planning to go up early Sunday morning.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » May 25th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Don’s photo also looks like a short middle section of the Starvation Ridge trail #414. It had PO on both sides which was not easy to avoid...
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 26th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Yikes. Wasn't paying attention today. Noticed it, but probably had been walking through it for quite some time. Fortunately, wore long sleeves and pants. Tecnu'd the hands/wrists when I got home. Overall though, I think Defiance trail needs a little more work than starvation. Except the PO, which seems to be mysteriously gone above 800'. ;)