Change in Forums appearance

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Martell

Re: Change in Forums appearance

Post by Martell » April 20th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Here's the way to tell the difference between a forum with unread posts and without:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 11.43.26 PM.png
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 21st, 2018, 6:44 pm

I just tested this and it works fine on Safari on a Mac. After you drag it over you just need to scroll down and you'll see it's in the attachments section.
I had thought you could drag a picture and place it anywhere in the text box (the "ideal" we've talked about for a long time), and there it would stay. Instead, it goes to attachments and you still have to place inline unless you want all your pictures at the end.
Captions show just fine. Edit: I looked at your post and you don't have any captions, just filenames.
For the past seven years, my file names have translated into captions without any extra effort; also the .jpg tag and size were not included. Now it seems, even though I've created file names that serve as captions, I also have to create (or paste) captions separately - a new 4th step in the already cumbersome process.
Thanks for being at least a little bit positive
The most important reason for the upgrade was smart phone readability. I guess we've got that, but I'm very discouraged by the issues I had when attempting a post, i.e. worse not better (but certainly appreciate all the time you've put into this.)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 21st, 2018, 8:38 pm

scary bridge.jpg
I had to type this caption manually.

Bobcat is right; having the filename displayed was a lot easier than having to type in a separate caption. Now, the filename disappears completely once the post is submitted, except as a mouseover.

(I don't suppose there's a way to have the file name automatically populate the "file comment" box?)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 22nd, 2018, 8:39 am

I don't suppose there's a way to have the file name automatically populate the "file comment" box?
That would be ideal and make the upgrade a slight, though not radical, improvement over the previous version from a poster's perspective (The improvement is you can now drag several image files at a time to the attachments box). A lot of users have grown up with very simple, intuitive platforms, especially regarding posting photos, so it's a little disappointing to see that phpBB didn't improve on that aspect significantly (but it's free, so there's the tradeoff).

One other minor thing is that the disclaimer at the bottom of the page should probably be resolved to the left margin.

Also, I know Dan is working on some difficulties with the home page, which is why you still see a former version and it's not updating. The banner is also being revised and a new one should come in at some point.

Martell

Post by Martell » April 22nd, 2018, 8:01 pm

I'm going to take this to email, because I'm pretty frustrated with your tone here.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 23rd, 2018, 4:31 am

Martell wrote:
April 22nd, 2018, 8:01 pm
I'm going to take this to email, because I'm pretty frustrated with your tone here.
Dan:

Let me just say thank you for doing the difficult work on upgrading the board here. It is thankless work and most people don't understand all the issues involved in an upgrade of this nature, and their are always way too many "back seat drivers". Upgrades like this are always a give and take - things will never be the same as they were exactly. FWIW, I think the new format is great - takes a bit of getting used to, but I think overall you have done an exceptional job.

Thank you for your continued hard work to iron out the little details, too.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 23rd, 2018, 5:18 am

Indeed, it’s been great to see the new layout and I’ve been most impressed with your accommodation of input. Even when it has been rather picky at times. Thank you for your work!

Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 23rd, 2018, 5:43 am

Yeah, thanks Dan

I don't like the change, but then I don't like any change. Technology moves along and you're forced to change because the old version becomes obsolete.

Martell

Post by Martell » April 23rd, 2018, 7:19 am

Thanks, I’ll still be moving through issues, so please let me know what you notice.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 23rd, 2018, 9:00 am

Despite its less-than-graceful handling of image uploads, I'm just glad you stuck with phpBB. I was on a forum once that switched over to vBulletin, and the whole thing withered and died shortly afterwards. (Not that vBulletin is always inherently bad, but apparently the webmaster didn't do enough to neutralize its more annoying features.)