Updates for Neahkahnie Mountain Loop Hike

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
arlohike

Updates for Neahkahnie Mountain Loop Hike

Post by arlohike » March 18th, 2018, 9:45 pm

This guide...

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Loop_Hike

...says to follow signage from the Short Sand Beach area to Neahkahnie Mountain. I went there today and didn't see any references to Neahkahnie in that area. To get from the parking lot or beach to Neahkahnie, you now have to follow signs for the Elk Meadow Trail. There's one sign for this just before the swing bridge, and another sign where the trail splits to the beach on the right and Neahkahnie Mountain on the left. So the signs are in the same places as what's described in the field guide, but their contents have changed.

I didn't see a mention of Neahkahnie Mountain until I crossed Highway 101 at the North Neahkahnie Mountain Trailhead.

It might also be worth updating the description of the "path for pedestrians" along Highway 101. This started as the asphalt road shoulder (squeezing down to as little as 2' wide), then changed to a concrete sidewalk passing through several viewpoint pullouts, and ended as a narrow and not obvious gravel path behind the road barrier. From the current description, I was expecting a consistent dirt or gravel path parallel to the road.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

bobcat

Re: Updates for Neahkahnie Mountain Loop Hike

Post by bobcat » March 20th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Thanks @arlohike!

I will make the changes as you suggested!

arlohike

Re: Updates for Neahkahnie Mountain Loop Hike

Post by arlohike » March 20th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Looks good!
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)