CamelBak is owned by a gun industry company

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Bosterson

CamelBak is owned by a gun industry company

Post by Bosterson » February 22nd, 2018, 2:54 pm

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/02/21/ ... gun-lobby/

TL:DR

Camelbak, as well as bike helmet brands Giro and Bell, and some other misc bike trailer/helmet brands, are owned by Vista Outdoors, the largest ammunition manufacturer in America. In 2017, they spent $500,000 on gun lobbying.

PLEASE NOTE: This is information is being posted for people who might find it useful for future purchasing decisions. This is NOT meant to start a discussion about the Second Amendment or any other legal aspect of the gun industry, corporate lobbying, or the government. Unless you would like to note other, similar outdoor brands (I own both a Camlbak bladder and a Giro helmet, and was unaware of their corporate parentage), there actually is no reason for anyone to respond to this topic. If the discussion makes any move in the slightest towards becoming a political debate, I will lock it in a heartbeat. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Charley

Re: CamelBak is owned by a gun industry company

Post by Charley » February 23rd, 2018, 11:08 am

I also own Giro and Bell cycling gear, as well as a Camelbak hydration system. I think I bought these items before the brands were bought by Vista, but it's not like I would have realized it at the time. With corporations entangled the way they are, it takes a little sleuthing to find out who benefits from what purchases, doesn't it?
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Water

Post by Water » February 23rd, 2018, 8:40 pm

so are you saying guns are bad? :evil:
Feel Free to Feel Free

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 23rd, 2018, 10:32 pm

Bosterson wrote:PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT meant to start a discussion about the Second Amendment or any other legal aspect of the gun industry, corporate lobbying, or the government. If the discussion makes any move in the slightest towards becoming a political debate, I will lock it in a heartbeat. :)
I'll save you the trouble.