disappointing lifespan for shoes

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
VanMarmot

Re: disappointing lifespan for shoes

Post by VanMarmot » January 29th, 2018, 8:12 am

At the moment I'm using Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Mids for general hiking and Lowa Arco GTX for rougher trails, cross-country, and easy snow.

I like the Moabs (comfortable fit for me) but the first pair lasted less than 2 years - the tread started to come off - and, on the current pair, the pull-on tab has already ripped out (but the tread is still holding).

The Lowas are also a comfortable fit but my first pair ruptured (likely from dirt in the stitches) where the toe flexes and, with the current pair, I've had to glue part of the tread back on already.

I also have a pair of Salomon Climashield waterproof boots for snowshoeing and other snow/wet hikes. These are in their 3rd year thanks only to generous applications of adhesive caulk to patch splits where the toe flexes. Despite that, one still leaks.

I understand that boots/hiking shoes probably take more continual punishment than any other piece of hiking/backpacking gear but for a $150 to $300 item to last only a year or so seems wrong. And despite all the hype about the "wonderous technical improvements" in each season's boots/shoes, the failure modes remain distressingly consistent, with failed seams at flex points and disintegrating tread/lugs being the ones I've seen for years. Rather than spend all that time and effort "designing" a boot's color and lace size, how about some solid engineering on durability? I'm happy to pay for good engineering but not for designer fluff...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 29th, 2018, 9:01 am

I don't know what their waterproofing is like but Scarpa seems to have a reputation for durability and it's been borne out with a couple of pairs of shoes in my family.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 29th, 2018, 2:20 pm

VanMarmot wrote:I like the Moabs (comfortable fit for me) but the first pair lasted less than 2 years - the tread started to come off - and, on the current pair, the pull-on tab has already ripped out (but the tread is still holding).
Merrell Moabs are famous for two things: being amazingly comfortable when you try them on at the store, and not lasting very long.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 30th, 2018, 6:44 am

adamschneider wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:I like the Moabs (comfortable fit for me) but the first pair lasted less than 2 years - the tread started to come off - and, on the current pair, the pull-on tab has already ripped out (but the tread is still holding).
Merrell Moabs are famous for two things: being amazingly comfortable when you try them on at the store, and not lasting very long.
Yes, they are very comfortable in the store and (for me) on the trail too. Sadly, as you note, any relationship with a particular pair is going to be shortlived. :( So the question remains - if you can design a comfortable shoe, why can't you engineer one that lasts too?

5th

Post by 5th » January 30th, 2018, 9:31 am

I guess I assume that comfort and durability are at odds with each other. My jeans are the most comfortable right before they fully unravel and/or disintegrate. T-shirts feel the best when they just start to spontaneously develop holes.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 30th, 2018, 9:52 am

5th wrote:I guess I assume that comfort and durability are at odds with each other. My jeans are the most comfortable right before they fully unravel and/or disintegrate. T-shirts feel the best when they just start to spontaneously develop holes.
:lol: :lol:

So true! There always seems to be a golden moment between breaking something in and having it start to disintegrate. There may be some larger philosophical truth at work here but I'd settle for a longer relationship with my boots... ;)

Guy

Post by Guy » January 30th, 2018, 10:19 am

VanMarmot wrote:So the question remains - if you can design a comfortable shoe, why can't you engineer one that lasts too?
Because more engineering goes into making a shoe that wears out at the soonest possible time you will be annoyed but not annoyed enough to never buy the brand again :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 30th, 2018, 12:34 pm

I wear GTX boots. Maybe they last me 500 miles. I like the waterproofness although it isn't perfect.

I think each person wears out boots differently. Mine often wear on the outside even with the base of the little toe, because the boots flex there. Sometimes I'll put Seam Grip or Shoe Goo there. Better when it's not worn yet.

Probably the worst is at the top, on the inside, where the back of my heel rubs. Sometimes I'll put Seam Grip there.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 30th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Guy wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:So the question remains - if you can design a comfortable shoe, why can't you engineer one that lasts too?
Because more engineering goes into making a shoe that wears out at the soonest possible time you will be annoyed but not annoyed enough to never buy the brand again :)
Likely true, but an unusually cynical stance for you. Something wrong with your boots? ;)

Maybe we need a boot called the "Student Loan" - not particularly comfortable but lasts forever. :roll:

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 30th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Feet? :lol: