Wed, 1/31 - Matt Reeder talks new book PDX Hiking 365 at MMC

Use this forum to see or share information about upcoming events, hikes, speakers or trail-tending opportunities from Portland-area clubs and organizations. Posts to this forum will automatically delete after 90 days.
mattisnotfrench

Wed, 1/31 - Matt Reeder talks new book PDX Hiking 365 at MMC

Post by mattisnotfrench » January 25th, 2018, 8:32 am

What: Mazama Evening Travel Programs: PDX Hiking 365 in NW Oregon and SW Washington
Where: Mazamas Mountaineering Center, 527 SE 43rd Avenue, Portland, OR 97215
When: 7PM - get there early if you want a seat, a large crowd is expected!

Guidebook author and AYM hike leader Matt Reeder has spent the past five years writing about the best places to go hiking throughout the year. His new book PDX Hiking 365 is the fruit of that labor, the first guidebook ever in the Portland area to organize hikes by month and season. PDX Hiking 365 offers quiet urban trails, rainforest rivers and open desert skies in the winter, hikes through fields of wildflowers in the spring, treks high on glaciated peaks in the summer and explorations through the finest fall color hikes in the fall. From January to December, you’re sure to find something perfect for each month of the year. Matt will describe some of this favorite hikes from PDX Hiking 365 from old favorites to obscure classics. Books will be available for purchase after the presentation.
PDX Hiking 365 Cover LARGE.jpg
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

mattisnotfrench

Re: Wed, 1/31 - Matt Reeder talks new book PDX Hiking 365 at

Post by mattisnotfrench » January 25th, 2018, 8:43 am

I've been a member here since the forum opened in 2006. Like many longtime members I don't really post much anymore - such is the evolution of forum culture, and this place is no exception. But I'm grateful that there are still so many folks active here.

One of the reasons I stopped posting as much was time. Over the past 5 years I've spent almost all of my free time researching and writing my last two books, which meant many long days and nights out on the trail. It's hard to find time to post a report when you get home, upload your photos to your computer, go to work, and then repeat it all like three days later. I wouldn't change anything about this though.

So now I have a new book, PDX Hiking 365, which is set to be released tomorrow, January 26. In many ways this is my "Portland Hikers" book! The idea of the book came from all of the times people asked me for advice on where to go throughout the year, where it was here, on Facebook, through my work with the Mazamas or in person. I learned a lot from all of the time I had to think about these questions. People would always ask me, or ask on the forums here, where they should go. And I thought about it, and after several years of work on other projects and in my free time, this book is the result.

But overall, I'm not sure I would have been able to do any of this without this website, and for that I owe all of you a pretty substantial debt. The trip reports, the field guide, the questions and so on and so forth - it has all helped me immensely.

Hopefully lots of you folks out there, particularly some of you longtimers, can make it out to this or one of my other talks I have coming up. I'd love to see some of you again.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 27th, 2018, 10:49 am

Congratulations, Matt! Best wishes on this latest addition to local hiking literature!

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » January 31st, 2018, 9:10 am

Thanks John! I'm looking forward to getting this out into the world. I think a lot of people are going to like this.

There will be more talks in the near future if folks can't make this one.