Table Mtn (Dick Thomas TH & trail) PERMANENTLY CLOSED

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
miah66

Re: Table Mtn (Dick Thomas TH & trail) PERMANENTLY CLOSED

Post by miah66 » November 28th, 2017, 11:37 am

I'm kind of surprised that Friends of the Gorge hasn't taken notice of this, to be honest. Perhaps it is as cut and dry as being locked out of access to public land (I have a feeling this is going to be a theme going forward).
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 28th, 2017, 12:12 pm

I don't think we should give up that easily. Quoting an earlier forum thread on the situation:
Don Nelson wrote:
klossner wrote:
kepPNW wrote: I'm sure there's precedent for some sort of squatter's-right to keep on using pathways that have "always" been allowed before.
Yes, it's called "implied easement". In Washington State, RCW 36.75.080 says that when a road (outside a city) is used by the public for ten years, it becomes a county road. I first passed over that road in 2004.
Nice! Thanks for the info. I've been using that road for years also - since 1985. If that's not precedent, I don't know what is.

dn
If we don't defend this implied easement we will probably lose it permanently.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » November 29th, 2017, 9:42 am

The larger easement question is what happened to the decades-long access to this area when you could drive to the lookout. I hiked to Aldrich Butte years ago with Dick Thomas when he and another long-timer talked about driving up to the former lookout site to watch the sunset.

There had been a hiking easement for many years across the public land from the slough, but a neighbor with a shotgun had threatened several groups which is what facilitated the move to the site of the Bonneville Hot Springs. Interestingly, this "closed" trail pre-dates the hot spring hotel.

Unless you have the money to go to court (like the Mazamas did in the 1990s re. the Bonanza Trail), those with money will bully people off private as well as public land.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 29th, 2017, 10:59 am

BigBear wrote:The larger easement question is what happened to the decades-long access to this area when you could drive to the lookout. I hiked to Aldrich Butte years ago with Dick Thomas when he and another long-timer talked about driving up to the former lookout site to watch the sunset.

There had been a hiking easement for many years across the public land from the slough, but a neighbor with a shotgun had threatened several groups which is what facilitated the move to the site of the Bonneville Hot Springs. Interestingly, this "closed" trail pre-dates the hot spring hotel.

Unless you have the money to go to court (like the Mazamas did in the 1990s re. the Bonanza Trail), those with money will bully people off private as well as public land.
I've driven up there as recently as 10 years ago and also often to the Butte Cut-Off TH on the SSW side of Aldrich when I was worried about getting car-clouted at the TH under the power lines. Once lots more folks started using that TH, I felt safer with all the comings and goings so stopped worrying about it. I've seen tire tracks in the mud along Carpenter Lake in the past couple of years so some are evidently still driving up there.

Another note: At the slough TH gate there was once a "no trespassing" sign. It's been gone for at least 15 years though.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 22nd, 2019, 10:50 am

Any news on this?