Trapper Creek Trails Updated On OSM

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
aiwetir

Trapper Creek Trails Updated On OSM

Post by aiwetir » November 9th, 2017, 1:04 am

Strava finally published enough data to update the up until now confusing quagmire of trails in Trapper Creek. USGS maps are generally missing about 1/3 of the trails in there, so this is a good start, there is at least one trail in there that I'm not sure of, but the update I just pushed should be a vast improvement on what we've had up until now.

I didn't limit the update to Trapper Creek, I hit Indian Heaven a bit and up to the NW towards Siouxon as well as some roads and what seem to be newer MTB trails.
Attachments
Screen Region 2017-11-09 at 01.09.27.png
Brown lines are new, orange lines are old, the farthest west trail that switches back a bunch isn't even on USGS
Screen Region 2017-11-09 at 01.02.53.png
- Michael

Webfoot

Re: Trapper Creek Trails Updated On OSM

Post by Webfoot » November 9th, 2017, 8:11 am

Thanks for your continued work on this. I am glad to see Strava update the Heatmap, and one can select the Activity Type which I don't remember seeing last time.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 9th, 2017, 8:15 am

I've been doing a lot of updating to OpenStreetMap myself (https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit). Not with Strava and heat maps... just using my own GPS tracks, aerial photos, USGS maps, and personal experience. For example, I really cleaned up the Silver Star Mountain trails.

It's amazing how many streams/creeks are still not in OSM, but for anyone with some spare time, it's easy to get those in there with the USGS topos as a guide.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 9th, 2017, 10:33 am

adamschneider wrote:I've been doing a lot of updating to OpenStreetMap myself (https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit). Not with Strava and heat maps... just using my own GPS tracks, aerial photos, USGS maps, and personal experience. For example, I really cleaned up the Silver Star Mountain trails.

It's amazing how many streams/creeks are still not in OSM, but for anyone with some spare time, it's easy to get those in there with the USGS topos as a guide.

You really should try the Strava version http://strava.github.io/iD/#background= ... 3/45.74612

Give it access to your OSM account, select a section of trail and hit the letter D or use the slide feature in the little popup toolbar, then fix all the switchbacks. You can sometimes just hit the letter D again and again to get it to snap properly. One workaround for switchbacks is to pick the far point of a properly located switchback and slide everything in between, that way the end point doesn't move. If drawing raw trail, I usually exaggerate the switchback and when I slide it it pulls it back to about where the switchback is. I like the volume of the heat map, generally gives me the confidence that what I'm doing is correct.

The most annoying part is that I'm going to go in there and move some of your hard work that you put in on the ground recording those tracks. Even those little alignment issues annoy my OCD. They are likely good on the aerial, but hundreds of GPS tracks don't have the distortion you get from photographing them at an angle.
Attachments
Screen Region 2017-11-09 at 10.35.56.png
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 9th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Well, a lot of what I'm doing is just fixing intersections, trail labels, trailheads, springs, streams, summits, etc. I'm not as concerned about the exact alignments, so go ahead and knock yourself out with that if you want. You should have seen the god-awful mess near the SSM summit before I straightened it up a few months ago. Things didn't even connect in the right places.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 9th, 2017, 10:53 pm

I've been known to disconnect things to work on them and forget to reconnect them. Anyone who couldn't route around Larch Mountain for the better part of 2016 has me to blame for that one :lol:
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 13th, 2017, 10:37 am

I just did a bunch of trail alignment around Silver Star. It's hard to be systematic about it and sometimes you end up following a road/trail for a while and getting distracted by other areas. I hope I didn't screw anything up, There are a lot of side trails it looks like and it also looks like the satellite doesn't line up well.
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 13th, 2017, 11:43 am

aiwetir wrote:It's hard to be systematic about it and sometimes you end up following a road/trail for a while and getting distracted by other areas.
Tell me about it; I spent hours this weekend fixing up Table Rock Wilderness, and next thing I knew I was trying to straighten out every trail and road near Opal Creek and French Creek. :roll:

I'm still shocked at how many streams are missing from OSM. And the Strava data doesn't help with those.

By the way, here's a very handy tip for the OSM editor interface: BLM maps are way better than USGS/USFS topos for roads, water, and some trails. Use this as the template for a "custom" background layer: https:// gis.blm.gov/orarcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/Cached_ORWA_BLM_Carto_Basemap/MapServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}

And here's a (potentially) better aerial view: http:// services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}.jpg

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 13th, 2017, 12:23 pm

adamschneider wrote:By the way, here's a very handy tip for the OSM editor interface: BLM maps are way better than USGS/USFS topos for roads, water, and some trails. Use this as the template for a "custom" background layer: https:// gis.blm.gov/orarcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/Cached_ORWA_BLM_Carto_Basemap/MapServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}
Interesting resource; thank you. I did note some road discrepancies where this map does not agree with reality, including one where the USGS Topo map gets it right, so "your mileage may vary" as they say.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 13th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Webfoot wrote:
adamschneider wrote:By the way, here's a very handy tip for the OSM editor interface: BLM maps are way better than USGS/USFS topos for roads, water, and some trails. Use this as the template for a "custom" background layer: https:// gis.blm.gov/orarcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/Cached_ORWA_BLM_Carto_Basemap/MapServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}
Interesting resource; thank you. I did note some road discrepancies where this map does not agree with reality, including one where the USGS Topo map gets it right, so "your mileage may vary" as they say.
Yeah, nothing's perfect... but I think one of the big advantages of the BLM maps is that they're more likely to have been updated in the last 40 years. Some of the data on those USGS maps is oooooooold.