Trail Class at Portland Audubon Society - Nov 11

Use this forum to see or share information about upcoming events, hikes, speakers or trail-tending opportunities from Portland-area clubs and organizations. Posts to this forum will automatically delete after 90 days.
justpeachy

Trail Class at Portland Audubon Society - Nov 11

Post by justpeachy » November 2nd, 2017, 6:54 am

Saturday, November 11, 8:30 AM to 4 PM

Overview

In response to the Eagle Creek Fire, we have come together as part of the Gorge Trails Recovery Team to offer training and classes to new volunteers. The Gorge Trails Recovery Team is made up of volunteers from Trailkeepers of Oregon, Pacific Crest Trails Association, Washington Trails Association, and Friends of the Gorge

Trail Work 101 – Brushing and Tread work. Learn how to maintain the trail corridor and trail surface to keep trails usable for hikers and minimize erosion and trail degradation issues.

Project description

This class will cover trail terminology and how trail design affects trail maintainability. We will be looking at some basics of trail design and then applying those concepts to trail maintenance: how to clear brush out of trail corridor, restore tread, and maintain drainage features.

This is a one-day class with a mix of class and trail work. It is recommended as an introduction for those who haven’t done trail work but want to learn trail design, or would like to become crew leaders.

Limited class size.

Hiking information

The class will be near the trail head with minimal hiking to class site. There will be up to three miles of hiking during the day as part of the field portion of the class.

What to expect

Hiking mixed with class room instruction. We will be using tools to practice tail maintenance techniques. A good portion of the class will take place on trails.

What to bring

Water bottle, snacks, note taking materials, lunch.

What to wear

Boots (tennis shoes are not allowed)
Long sleeved shirts recommended
Clothing as appropriate for the weather
Eye protection is recommended (eye glasses, safety glasses, etc.)
TKO will supply hard hats and safety glasses
Directions:

Your crew leader will be in touch with specific directions and meet-up details.

Please sign up here: https://www.trailkeepersoforegon.org/trailwork/#audubon

Webfoot

Re: Trail Class at Portland Audubon Society - Nov 11

Post by Webfoot » November 3rd, 2017, 2:02 pm

justpeachy wrote:Boots (tennis shoes are not allowed)
I think I am not the target audience but I am curious about statements like this when I see them. With many people hiking in trail runners and minimalist shoes these days why the requirement for boots?

Charley

Post by Charley » November 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm

Webfoot wrote:
I think I am not the target audience but I am curious about statements like this when I see them. With many people hiking in trail runners and minimalist shoes these days why the requirement for boots?
a-woman-on-the-chuchupati-flight-crew-530-uses-her-pulaski-tool-to-da51xh.jpg
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 8th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Webfoot wrote:
Sorry for the delayed reply; I didn't see your question until now. For the same reason trail crews wear hard hats - to protect their heads - boots are required to protect one's feet. Boots are sturdier than tennis shoes or trail runners. If you're swinging a pulaski like the person in that photo Charley posted, and your aim is a little off, your foot will fare better in a boot than a trail runner. :)