GoalTechHikes Mississippi Head Traverse: B26 Plane (7/29/17)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Peder

Re: GoalTechHikes Mississippi Head Traverse: B26 Plane (7/29

Post by Peder » September 30th, 2017, 11:40 am

kepPNW wrote:Hmmm, but that one has four blades per propeller... As do nearly all the ones I see in Google Image search... And yet...
"WWII - B-26 BOMBER - 1944 ENGLAND (COLOR)" from here.

EDIT: I JUST SAW THE SAME PICTURE DESCRIBING IT AS A B-17 BOMBER!

Maybe there is something "wrong" about the propeller!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 30th, 2017, 12:00 pm

I've wondered that before, looking over towards Yocum Ridge. One of those that may not be as difficult as it looks. Yeah, if there was snow it might be easier. I've gone from Yocum Ridge towards Paradise before and half way isn't too difficult.

And then continue all the way around the mountain - going from Yocum to McNeil (that is Cathedral Ridge) has been done. Then over to Barret Spur is straightforward - I've done that. Looking over the edge of Barret Spur looks impossible with that glacier...

There are previous threads about this...

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 30th, 2017, 3:24 pm

I too have wondered about the number of blades on that prop. Also have wondered why people keep messing with it. I keep seeing it moved, and wonder why. (okay, I'll admit one has to be a bit obsessed to even notice such things.)

Forget about accessing Yocum, I'd settle for getting to that vernal parkland ridge halfway to Yocum. Looks beautiful.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 30th, 2017, 3:28 pm

This plane had a production run of 17 years (for Douglas) and lots of changes/engines/improvements as technology improved. I'd guess the earlier ones had a smaller engine and thus the 3 bladed prop. In 1948 when the Mississippi Head plane went down it was a very early one. Here is a pic I found of one such:

Some of the confusion may be in id-ing the manufacturer: Douglas made an A26 then renamed it the B26 in 1948 and Martin made a different plane also called the B26 from 1941 to 1945. Hmmm - this one must have been the Douglas version.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 1st, 2017, 6:10 am

mjirving wrote:Interesting about the 3-bladed prop! I thought maybe the blades were bent to make it appear as though it were 3-bladed, but I zoomed in and the hub appeared to in-fact be for 3 blades.
Yeah, I had to go look at photos from several hikes to assure myself my memory was correct, too. Definitely just the three on that one.
Chip Down wrote:
Across was the very pretty and meadowed Yocum Ridge. I somehow thought there might be a way to get across to it, but that was a clear “no way” once I got to the edge.
I bet it can be done. Might require the perfect snow conditions though. And I bet it would involve a lot of up/down/up/down, as well as left/right/left/right. I have no doubt it would be more difficult and draining than climbing to the summit. Which is the main reason I've never tried it (I'm lazy and cowardly ;) ).
Someone adept at searching here should find a TR for that traverse. It's been done. Nasty, for sure!
retired jerry wrote:okay, maybe I just psyched myself out :)

sometimes something can look difficult but when you get on it it's not that bad
Just be sure to head west, not south, as you go down! ;)
Don Nelsen wrote:Some of the confusion may be in id-ing the manufacturer: Douglas made an A26 then renamed it the B26 in 1948 and Martin made a different plane also called the B26 from 1941 to 1945. Hmmm - this one must have been the Douglas version.
Interesting research, Don! So it doesn't look like a total fail on the established ID. I really had to wonder, given the contemporary newspaper accounts, how that could be possible.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Post by Peder » October 1st, 2017, 6:44 am

Gauli Glacier November 1946

The B-26 plane, for those who do not recall, was about 50 miles off course when it hit Mississippi Head. Last night I was reading the Swiss Alpine Club's monthly magazine and it held a similar story where a US Air Force DC-3 Dakota (officially a "C-53 Skytrooper plane") crashed on a Swiss Glacier at around 10,000'. At the time, Swiss airspace was off-limits to US aircraft and the pilot thought he was hundreds of miles away over France! You can read about the dramatic rescue of the 12 crew & passengers here. It was the first air rescue in the Alps, though Hermann Geiger is generally considered the father of air rescue in Switzerland.

One propeller was found in 2012 and you read this, DN is flying to Switzerland to look for the second one!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 1st, 2017, 10:48 am

Here is a great summary of the A26/B26 found by a friend of mine.

I suspect this may be the cause of the confusion over three blade props (A26) vs the four blade prop(B26). Also, lots of model changes.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraf ... raft_id=91

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 1st, 2017, 11:10 am

mjirving wrote:Here is a great summary of the A26/B26 found by a friend of mine.

I suspect this may be the cause of the confusion over three blade props (A26) vs the four blade prop(B26). Also, lots of model changes.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraf ... raft_id=91

Thanks for the research!

My dad was learning to fly these things (and I think the B-17 as well) as WWII came to a close. He had lots of stories to tell and lucky for me the war ended before he was sent out. One of the stories I remember him telling me was when a panel came loose over the pilots seat and a mass of wiring fell on him and the instructor. He had to push it all back up into place in order to see well enough to bring the plane back to the base.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mjanardh

Re: GoalTechHikes Mississippi Head Traverse: B26 Plane (7/29/17)

Post by mjanardh » October 20th, 2018, 8:50 pm

hi Mike,
since the weather was so good today, went to paradise and slowly went up and the intercept with the sandy river canyon ridge took a right and followed along the ridge. i did not get to the location of the b52 crash sight, where exactly is it? any more details?
-Mani

mjirving

Re: GoalTechHikes Mississippi Head Traverse: B26 Plane (7/29/17)

Post by mjirving » October 20th, 2018, 9:26 pm

It’s right on the upper edge of Mississippi Head. On the point. One of the props is the main thing. Not much else is left.