Eclipse @ Baskett Slough

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
markesc

Eclipse @ Baskett Slough

Post by markesc » August 23rd, 2017, 3:55 pm

Posted in the general forum, thought I'd add to the other reports here.

Got maybe 15-30 mins of sleep, then left around 3am, arrived around 3:45am. Had a spot picked out on the refuge boundary, but the locals hired a security guy to tell everyone they cannot park there. So it was back down the hill and into the refuge area. Settled on a spot where the lakes are on the far west side. The short hike to the hill was already completly full of cars so that was the only possible elevated vantage point.

Everyone was in a great mood, had a great talk with a couple from Seattle that had driven 10+ hours, and I learned a ton about China, as both were originally from that region. We shared food/drinks/and photo tips!

Then one of us looked up, and it had begun!

Nothing short of magical!!!

Had three cameras setup, and I could probably justify having 30 and still just not have enough!!!

5dmkiv with 100-400 II + 1.4x III for the telephoto 4k part going from totality back to normal (end part of video); 5dmkiii wide angle 1080p stationary video 16-35f4; hand held 70d with rode mic 24-105F4, just to try to capture the cheers and pan around. 2 mins is just NOT enough!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhCQw8oeIBM&t=7s
594A3770.jpg
594A3812.jpg
594A3813-2.jpg
594A3815-2.jpg
I'm humbled to put it very simply. I think many on here have hiked/climbed/photographed/blood/sweat/etc for years and thought "I've seen a lot of amazing moments..." Then this! Different, whole different level.

adamschneider

Re: Eclipse @ Baskett Slough

Post by adamschneider » August 23rd, 2017, 4:09 pm

That last image is probably the best corona shot I've seen so far. That's how I remember it looking.

(I didn't even try; I followed the advice of eclipse veterans who said "if it's your first eclipse, don't take pictures.")

markesc

Post by markesc » August 23rd, 2017, 4:55 pm

adamschneider wrote:That last image is probably the best corona shot I've seen so far. That's how I remember it looking.

(I didn't even try; I followed the advice of eclipse veterans who said "if it's your first eclipse, don't take pictures.")
Thanks! and I agree. If I'm lucky to see another, I want to automate as much of the process as possible. An equatorial mount would have been a big help for the telephoto shots. Wish I would have bracketed those shots, but you're just caught up in the moment of it all, and all the technical crap is right out the window as you look up in complete disbelief!

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 26th, 2017, 9:46 am

Awesome shots, and loved the video too! That's one of the best Diamond Ring photos I've seen. Kudos!
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

Peabody

Post by Peabody » August 26th, 2017, 10:03 am

Great pictures! That last one also shows Mercury at 7:00 O'Clock.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

markesc

Post by markesc » August 27th, 2017, 11:50 am

sparklehorse wrote:Awesome shots, and loved the video too! That's one of the best Diamond Ring photos I've seen. Kudos!
Thanks! F22 on a 9 blade aperture lens + some luck on the timing part! The biggest factor was using the live view about a quarter of the way into the start as my initial settings were not in focus, but as the glare decreased, it was easier to dial it back in, which helped to get a finer lines of diffraction at that aperture. Left it on Av mode the entire time...

Bring on the next one!!!! :mrgreen:

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » August 28th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Peabody wrote:Great pictures! That last one also shows Mercury at 7:00 O'Clock.
That's Regulus :)

Peabody

Post by Peabody » August 28th, 2017, 6:01 pm

neilsonw wrote:
Peabody wrote:Great pictures! That last one also shows Mercury at 7:00 O'Clock.
That's Regulus :)
I'm gonna stick with Mercury. Unless of course Mrs. P says it's Regulus and then...well.....its just not worth it.

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » August 28th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Peabody wrote: I'm gonna stick with Mercury. Unless of course Mrs. P says it's Regulus and then...well.....its just not worth it.
Hmm, I just went with Regulus because it looks about 2 lunar/solar diameters away from the edge:

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 28th, 2017, 9:23 pm

I thought it was Regulus because I read an article after the eclipse that said the two star-like things we all saw were Venus and Regulus.