Waldo Mountain 8/20/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ejain

Waldo Mountain 8/20/17

Post by ejain » August 22nd, 2017, 7:10 pm

Reached the Islet Point boat launch on Waldo Lake just after 9am, after spending the night nearby. Expected crowds, but saw only one other car offloading a boat.

Inflated our canoe and paddled 3 miles straight across a calm (and very transparent) Waldo Lake to a small bay near Elbow Lake, where we found a marked boat landing spot in front of a campsite, and a small path connecting to the Waldo Lake Trail.

Filled out wilderness permits at a register just after turning off Waldo Lake Trail onto Salmon Lake Trail. Continued to Spirit Lake Trail, and up Winchester Ridge Trail and Waldo Mountain Trail. The trails were easy to follow, but a bit overgrown with (ripe!) blueberries, plus there were a couple of larger blowdowns. Some of the junctions were incorrectly marked in both OpenStreetMap and NW Topos; the USFS map was accurate.

Had lunch at the lookout (locked) before heading back down. By the time we were back at our boat, Waldo Lake had disappeared in smoke, so paddling back required some dead-reckoning...

Apart from the lakes, there was no water. Other than a biker on the Waldo Lake Trail, we didn't encounter anyone on the trails. No bugs, either.

Photos & Tracklog
Attachments
P1750158.JPG
Hazy Waldo Lake
P1750131.JPG
View from the lookout
P1750124.JPG
Waldo Mountain Lookout
P1750095.JPG
Blueberry-covered trail
P1750076.JPG
Boat landing near Elbow Lake
P1750070.JPG
Waldo Lake near Islet Point
Last edited by ejain on August 22nd, 2017, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justpeachy

Re: Waldo Mountain 8/20/17

Post by justpeachy » August 22nd, 2017, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the report! We were thinking of backpacking down there on Labor Day Weekend, but if it's still that smoky we'll go elsewhere.

I'm not sure but I think you maybe saw huckleberries. I haven't heard of wild blueberries in the Oregon Cascades, but I could be wrong about that.

ejain

Re: Waldo Mountain 8/20/17

Post by ejain » August 22nd, 2017, 10:01 pm

justpeachy wrote:I'm not sure but I think you maybe saw huckleberries. I haven't heard of wild blueberries in the Oregon Cascades, but I could be wrong about that.
Blueberry, huckleberry... Let's just say there were at least 3 or 4 different types of vaccinium :-)