Soda Peaks Lake 16-Sep-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Soda Peaks Lake 16-Sep-09

Post by VanMarmot » September 19th, 2009, 12:44 pm

I enjoy the Soda Peaks Lake trail in the Trapper Creek Wilderness because it provides access to a delightful area without the committment of a full day of hiking. It's also a great introductory hike for the area. Last time I parked at the Observation Peak trailhead and worked my way across Trapper Creek on the remains of the bridge. This time I started at Bubbling Mike Spring, which avoids the bridge and is 1.8 mi RT shorter. The trail from the Spring along the creek washed out a few years ago but has been reconstituted into easy passability (if not actually re-built & re-aligned). The trail that climbs to the lake is in excellent shape all the way (which was not the case a few years back when it's lower reaches were blocked by several large fallen trees).
(1) Trail.jpg
The weather was clear, calm, and warm and the lake as charming as ever.
(2) Lake 1.jpg
(3) Lake 2.jpg
This hike doesn't offer the views that you'd get from Observation Peak but there's one spot where you can see out to Hood.
(4) Hood.jpg
All in all, another good day in the woods (as opposed to being in my cubicle).

fettster

Re: Soda Peaks Lake 16-Sep-09

Post by fettster » September 20th, 2009, 9:23 am

Did you run into any of the locals who claim that trail is in a decrepit state and requires 6 fords of the creek?

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 20th, 2009, 4:38 pm

fettster wrote:Did you run into any of the locals who claim that trail is in a decrepit state and requires 6 fords of the creek?
No, I've never had to ford the creek (but there were some dodgy moves when the old bridge was removed). The trail from the Springs isn't great but it's easy to follow. If you wanted to start from the Observation Peak trailhead, I believe that the bridge has now been either repaired or replaced.

fettster

Post by fettster » September 20th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Yeah we didn't either when we were there in June. Some folks just don't like all the hikers passing by I guess.

I like how Sparklehorse described this wilderness: "Stingy on the views."

airdrum

Post by airdrum » September 21st, 2009, 8:12 pm

Glad to hear the trail is in good shape, this one is a candidate for my kayak if I can ever convert a backpack to carry it, but I am certainly in need of a good trail if I decide to haul that thing! Great shots of the lake, bummer there are no views there but it always looks peaceful in every photo I see
Andy