Huckleberry Mtn (Boulder Ridge) 17-Sep-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Huckleberry Mtn (Boulder Ridge) 17-Sep-09

Post by VanMarmot » September 19th, 2009, 1:20 pm

For many years, I hiked the same few trails in the Gorge over and over again to get in shape for mountaineering. All great hikes but now that I'm easing-up on the mountaineering, I'm starting to look for trails that are new to me (the guidebook companies are making a fortune off this new enthusiasm). The Boulder Ridge trail to Huckleberry Mountain starts from the Wildwood Rec Site ($5 access but you don't have to worry about your car), then climbs steadily but moderately through a shady forest.
(1) Trail.jpg
It had rained the night before which seemed to encourage little salamanders to wander out into the trail (the picture is fuzzy because it's hard to focus with a squirming critter in one hand and the camera in the other). I used up a lot of time both trying to photograph them and not step on them, which is hard since they're almost the same color as the ground - but no critters were crushed in the making of this hike).
(2) Salamander.jpg
There are several limited viewpoints along the trail but you don't get the biggest view until you reach an open bald spot about 0.3 miles from the actual summit.
(5) View point.jpg
From here you have a commanding view of Hood and Hunchback Mountain
(3) Hood 1.jpg
and (despite the limitations of my tiny camera) a closeup of the Reid Glacier (or what's left of it).
(4) Hood 2.jpg
This is a good trail if you'd enjoy a moderate hike through a healthy 2nd growth forest culminating in a great viewpoint / lunch spot.

Waffle Stomper

Re: Huckleberry Mtn (Boulder Ridge) 17-Sep-09

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 19th, 2009, 6:15 pm

One of my favorite hikes. Especially in the spring when there is a great bloom of Rhododendrons.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 19th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Anyone know what kind of salamander? We found one at Wahtum Lake today--same markings, almost black back and bright orange belly.

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » September 21st, 2009, 5:31 pm

i think they are rough skinned newts.