I guess they allow "day camping"

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Chip Down

I guess they allow "day camping"

Post by Chip Down » May 27th, 2017, 5:57 pm

I've noticed Beacon Rock State Park has a problem with consistent signage. Example:
Attachments
20170527_145917.jpg

Christminster

Re: I guess they allow "day camping"

Post by Christminster » June 2nd, 2017, 10:30 pm

"Campsites are up the hill. Down here though, it's closed from dusk 'til eight" .....?

You've got a point though. Sure, we can figure out what it probably means, but damn, as far as being sure not to avoid a ticket or being trapped behind a closed gate, being sure,... tempted I am to rant, but I shan't.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 3rd, 2017, 6:37 am

At a different state park in Washington (Steamboat Rock) I recently saw this confusing mess of signs instructing campers how to pick a site and register. If you need ten signs to accomplish this task you're doing it wrong.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 20th, 2017, 8:52 am

I wonder it they close the gate at dusk? If you camp up on the loop, I guess you can't go into North Bonneville or down the road to Skamania Store for supplies after dinner, you have to remain at your campsite.

Given the high level of parking enforcement - one of the rangers is at the window of your vehicle checking for your Discovery Pass before you even have the engine turned off (not kidding on this) - I would suspect an armed guard would be posted at the gate at dusk.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 20th, 2017, 9:00 pm

BigBear wrote:I wonder it they close the gate at dusk? If you camp up on the loop, I guess you can't go into North Bonneville or down the road to Skamania Store for supplies after dinner, you have to remain at your campsite.

Given the high level of parking enforcement - one of the rangers is at the window of your vehicle checking for your Discovery Pass before you even have the engine turned off (not kidding on this) - I would suspect an armed guard would be posted at the gate at dusk.
I've seen the gate open when I arrive for a pre-dawn start, but I've also seen it locked. I guess it's as inconsistent as the signage.

As for the parking enforcement, I have an epic rant waiting to be dropped on the board, but I'm waiting a bit, allowing Skamania County Court an opportunity to redeem themselves before I go all apoplectic. ;)

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 21st, 2017, 9:18 am

I look forward to reading the rant. 8-)