There is no panorama at the summit of Mount Defiance

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
fallsfreak

There is no panorama at the summit of Mount Defiance

Post by fallsfreak » September 2nd, 2009, 9:05 am

Before I hiked the Starvation-Defiance Loop, I researched the trails and descriptions closely on Portland Hikers. It says at the summit you can see "Mount Rainier, Mount Adams, Mount Saint Helens, Mount Hood, Mount Jefferson, Chinidere Mountain, Indian Mountain, Tomlike Mountain, Larch Mountain, Dog Mountain, Cook Hill... (hmmm, I'm out of words.) Believe me, it has to be seen to be believed." Well, the one picture of Mount Hood says it all. When I got up there, I saw all the expected electric towers, but surrounding the summit were several trees that you were unable to peer over. The only mountain that was unobstructed was Mount Hood. However, on a clear day, you can see all these mountains on the way up the Starvation Ridge Trail and on some viewpoints of the Mount Defiance Trail. They should re-word that list, explaining you don't see the peaks from the summit, but on your way up to the summit of Mount Defiance. Look at the or Mount Defiance Hike to see what I mean. This error made me quite surprised, and a bit disappointed.

Thanks,

fallsfreak

Martell

Re: There is no panorama at the summit of Mount Defiance

Post by Martell » September 15th, 2009, 8:56 pm

I'm bumping this one for Steve- I haven't done Defiance, so I'm not the best to go about updating it.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper