mini concrete obelisk marked "SP..."

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Chip Down

mini concrete obelisk marked "SP..."

Post by Chip Down » May 27th, 2017, 6:24 pm

When out bushwhacking in a remote area today, I noticed a Longview Fibre marker on a tree, then another, and another. From where I stood, they were surrounding me in a circular pattern. It felt a little spooky. I was clearly in the center of a circle. But why?

There was a fence post next to me (one of those steel posts that you might use to support a simple wire fence).

Then I noticed this little concrete obelisk marked "S" on adjacent faces. A little digging revealed a "P" under each S. There were very faint roadbeds in the area, and I saw at least one large tree that appeared to be sawcut, but it was so old and decayed that I couldn't be 100% certain.

Any ideas?
Attachments
20170527_065633.jpg

Peabody

Re: mini concrete obelisk marked "SP..."

Post by Peabody » May 28th, 2017, 9:23 am

My best guess would be it's a survey marker of some sort. The road beds you saw could also be railroad beds. If that's the case the SP might refer to the Southern Pacific railroad.

"The Southern Pacific Transportation Company (reporting mark SP)"

Can you provide the location of the marker?
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 28th, 2017, 11:08 am

Neat fine! I'd like know where that is too.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 28th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Hi Peabody. I wondered about Southern Pacific, but in an area this steep and remote, I think a rail line would likely be owned/operated by miners/loggers. But maybe in those days the major rail lines got into the natural resource extraction business too. Whatever it is, odd that it's marked on just two faces. My first thought was "south" but that didn't hold up to scrutiny.

Don, glad to see you spotted this topic. You know you've found something cool when DN doesn't know what it is. :D

I think there's a very low risk of theft, so I'll post location below.
Attachments
20170527_073043.jpg
Untitled.jpg
north ridge hamilton mt

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 28th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Well, then, mystery solved: that's the corner of the Beacon Rock State Park boundary.
BRSP.jpg
(I originally thought maybe it stood for "State Park," but it seemed too obvious somehow.)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 28th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Oh!
Almost disappointing that it's not something more exotic and historic, but good to know. Most bushwhackers in the gorge (and elsewhere) have encountered SP signs on trees, but I guess this was oddball. Somebody really exerted some effort to mark that corner.

Interesting to note that this marker would only work on a ninety-degree junction, but I imagine most SP borders are like that. If I'd really thought this through, I would have observed the orientation of those faces (I'm old school, still carry a compass).

I wondered if this topic would grab any attention buried down in this forum. Thanks for all the feedback and comments.

Damn...looking back at the map I posted, I'm embarrassed I didn't notice my yellow x is right at a green corner. It's a wonder I don't get lost more often. :lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 29th, 2017, 5:37 am

I was going to say "State Park" just as a smart axx comment :)

Peabody

Post by Peabody » May 29th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Peabody wrote:My best guess would be it's a survey marker of some sort. The road beds you saw could also be railroad beds. If that's the case the SP might refer to the Southern Pacific railroad.

"The Southern Pacific Transportation Company (reporting mark SP)"

Can you provide the location of the marker?
Swing and a miss. :)
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 30th, 2017, 7:43 am

Even if it was a miss this time, not necessarily a bad one. They had remote survey reference points that were used for triangulation during large scale construction all the time.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 12th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Since railroads were given every other section in places, it's not too far out in left field to think a railroad marker would be out of expected terrain. Good guess.
- Michael