Rooster Rock, Menagerie Wilderness 7-13-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jewelle

Rooster Rock, Menagerie Wilderness 7-13-08

Post by Jewelle » July 14th, 2008, 9:09 am

Headed out east towards the cascades yesterday. I wanted to achieve a hike with some elevation but not something that was going to be extremely hot either. I chose Rooster Rock from William Sullivan's 100 Hikes book. This hike heads into the Menagerie Wilderness where good views of volcanic plugs stopped to make their home after an eruption. Many have said these plugs look like a zoo, according to Sullivan. I chose to take the shorter, but much steeper route, since I wanted some good exercise.

At 1.6 miles you come to a fork, which is with the Trout Creek Trail. This trail is a lot easier, but also a lot longer. From here it's 0.5 miles to the top. The trees are so badly over grown that views of all the rock pillars are about nothing. I had a great view of Iron Mountain and the North and Middle Sister though. Here are a few pics:

Iron Mountain:
North and Middle Sister:

I was very disappointed with this hike. I liked the exercise but the views were no good. William Sullivan described another trail that led to what they call Rabbit Ears, a popular rock climbing pillar. I found it but it was so faint and full of over growth that it wasn't easy to follow. I don't recommed this hike at all. Sullivan described good views of many rock pillars, but that might of been 10 years ago. So, if you like exercise and don't care about what you see, this is a hike for you. -Jen
Last edited by Jewelle on July 14th, 2008, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

fettster

Re: Rooster Rock, Menagerie Wilderness 7-13-08

Post by fettster » July 14th, 2008, 9:24 am

Wow, how about that for honesty!? I've never done this hike, and given your input Jewelle, will definitely keep that low on my priority list. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and experience. That hike would be a bit of a drive for me so it is good to know if it would be worth it.

I've heard great things about that Iron Mountain before though, and I seem to recall Mattisnotfrench(?) posting a solid TR on that in the last couple years.

After this one I hope to read how fantastic your next hike was and how we all missed out.

Jewelle

Post by Jewelle » July 14th, 2008, 9:30 am

Oh, let me tell you, no one will miss out on this hike. I would of rather intertubed down the Santiam will all the crazy drunk people I saw walking along the highway. Iron Mountain is next weeks adventure. I'm sure I will like it though, since I will actually have views of all the Eastern Cascades. I'll keep you updated.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 14th, 2008, 10:58 am

I did this trail when I was 13 or 14 and really liked it, but we did the longer way up. Nice gradual pace, decent views to the west here and there...at least that's what I remember. I've never heard anything good about the steep trail though.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

cfm

Post by cfm » July 14th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Well I beg to differ, Jen! I know this area well, so I must defend.

Some pros for this hike:

It's a great shuttle-especially as a bike shuttle since both trailheads are on the same road.

If you don't mind exploring off trail, there are tons of rock formations to visit to the north.

THs are accessible all year, and you will usually have solitude if you visit any time other than a summer weekend.

Yes, up the road at Iron mountain/Cone Peak/Browder Ridge are where you should be in July, but Rooster Rock is a great place to visit in February!

Jewelle

Post by Jewelle » July 15th, 2008, 11:18 am

Well, I attemped some off trailing, but had no luck. Trees were really overgrown, and there was ton's of damage from the past few storms. I ran into one person who had hiked up the easier route. She had been up here a few times before and couldn't believe how much it had changed. I agree with you about hiking it in the snow. Would make for some good shoeing. It is my plan to summit Iron Mountain this weekend. Hopefully I won't need my snowshoes.

Tiredinco

Post by Tiredinco » May 5th, 2020, 8:01 am

May 4, 2020
No closure signs at trailhead. Trail is in good shape.
60 degrees with light winds...perfect hiking day.
As Jewelle infers good view (not views) to East and some peek-a-boo views of the valley.
Steep trail so some prework on the Stairmaster will be helpful.
Heck as least it's open so I'll take it.