Cascade Locks to Larch Mt

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
grantrs

Cascade Locks to Larch Mt

Post by grantrs » May 11th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Thinking of doing the following trip in the next couple weeks.

Start in Cascade Locks
Follow Gorge Trail West to TH of Nesmith Point Trail
Go up Nesmith Point Trail
Head south/SW on Horsetail Creek Trail
South on Bell Creek Trail
Then Upper Section of Oneonta Trail to Larch Mountain.

Originally wanted to climb up higher in elevation at Tanner Butte Trail but no so sure about trail conditions and the amount of snow. Not looking forward to being on Gorge Trail for so long with the road noise.

Any thoughts/comments?
Any idea of the status of those trails?
Looks like from recent trail reports there is still a lot of snow at Larch Mt. Was going to catch a ride from there but doubt the gate is going to be open in time. About how many miles is it from the parking lot to the gate?

Thanks in advance.

bushwhacker

Re: Cascade Locks to Larch Mt

Post by bushwhacker » May 12th, 2017, 5:50 am

I did Nesmith on Wednesday and crossed paths was a guy that had backpacked over from Angels Rest and was coming down Nesmith. That included Bell Creek and Horsetail but not Larch. He did abort his trip due to having problems finding his way along the Moffett Creek trail. Still a few snow patches on the upper Nesmith but I did the whole thing in trail runners with no issues.

Must be a couple of miles from from the Larch parking lot to the gate. You could always drop down to Multnomah Falls if the snow becomes an issue up on Larch.
grantrs wrote:Not looking forward to being on Gorge Trail for so long with the road noise.
I know there was a discussion elsewhere on this site about bluetooth speakers being used on the trail. I think there are cases where loud music may be appropriate :D .

grantrs

Post by grantrs » May 12th, 2017, 8:13 am

Thanks for the info.
Yes, as much as I cringe thinking of people using speakers or headphones on the trail that section might make sense.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 13th, 2017, 6:30 am

Seems like a nice ramble. Although I really don't get starting at Cascade Locks? That's not going to be a pleasant launch.

Was just up on Larch last Sunday (5/7). Still 4-8 feet of snow in the forest up there. It was as low as 3100' on the Onenota approach, and continuous above 3500'. (Bell Creek should be completely bare.) The road was atrocious! Absolutely the worst part of the loop, as the snow there was so much softer. In the woods, it was easy to walk on, but on the road I was sinking in 6-12". Would wholeheartedly suggesting coming down the north crater rim route on Larch Mountain Trail all the way to Multnomah or branch off to Wahkeena when you hit 420. It's a beautiful trail!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mrblisterdundee

Post by mrblisterdundee » May 15th, 2017, 9:54 am

grantrs wrote:Thinking of doing the following trip in the next couple weeks.

Start in Cascade Locks
Follow Gorge Trail West to TH of Nesmith Point Trail
Go up Nesmith Point Trail
Head south/SW on Horsetail Creek Trail
South on Bell Creek Trail
Then Upper Section of Oneonta Trail to Larch Mountain.

Originally wanted to climb up higher in elevation at Tanner Butte Trail but no so sure about trail conditions and the amount of snow. Not looking forward to being on Gorge Trail for so long with the road noise.

Any thoughts/comments?
Any idea of the status of those trails?
Looks like from recent trail reports there is still a lot of snow at Larch Mt. Was going to catch a ride from there but doubt the gate is going to be open in time. About how many miles is it from the parking lot to the gate?
Thanks in advance.
I did Larch Mountain the weekend before last. There's snow, but it's compact enough to walk right over in regular boots or shoes. I ran into a couple of women who had camped up there. I think at this point, most of the Gorge trails are open, if you're willing to hike on top of a snow layer.

grantrs

Post by grantrs » May 15th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Going to be out that way for an event and figured I would get a hike in.
But now plans have changed and probably going to have to cancel it anyways. :cry:

kepPNW wrote:Seems like a nice ramble. Although I really don't get starting at Cascade Locks? That's not going to be a pleasant launch.

Was just up on Larch last Sunday (5/7). Still 4-8 feet of snow in the forest up there. It was as low as 3100' on the Onenota approach, and continuous above 3500'. (Bell Creek should be completely bare.) The road was atrocious! Absolutely the worst part of the loop, as the snow there was so much softer. In the woods, it was easy to walk on, but on the road I was sinking in 6-12". Would wholeheartedly suggesting coming down the north crater rim route on Larch Mountain Trail all the way to Multnomah or branch off to Wahkeena when you hit 420. It's a beautiful trail!