Snow-kiting up St. Helens

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
UTurn

Snow-kiting up St. Helens

Post by UTurn » April 27th, 2017, 10:30 am

Okay, not exactly hiking but I sure wish I could get to the top that fast!

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/video-hoo ... /434600602

BigBear

Re: Snow-kiting up St. Helens

Post by BigBear » April 28th, 2017, 8:40 am

I wonder how you pull-in the sail before you get to the crater rim and fall?

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » April 28th, 2017, 10:53 am

I find myself strangely on the fence about this. I mean, it's cool for sure and seems like a novel approach to wind surfing, but I'm also a a little put off by the stunt-ish nature of it all. Nevertheless, this dude certainly isn't concerned with whether I'm impressed or not and good on him to pulling this off (with perseverance after several attempts).

Maybe I'm jealous because I had to get in shape in order to walk all the way up MSH ;)

Hey, wait! Did he have a permit? Do you think one should be required for kite surfing to the summit? :twisted:

pcg

Post by pcg » April 28th, 2017, 6:49 pm

He claims that Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood are next on his list, but he is in for a rude surprise - I hope. Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood are designated wilderness (Mt. St. Helens is a National Monument) and all "aircraft" including hang gliders and para sails are prohibited in wilderness. A kite is a para sail.
I am happy for those people that push boundaries and do new things and I don't even begrudge them the ego boost and self-glory they revel in. However, the flip side is that that selfish mindset often doesn't notice that their actions may intrude on the experience of others who are looking for a more natural alpine experience that does not include kites swinging around in the air. I wish these guys wold stick to the portions of the Columbia River that they have already taken over. On the other hand, if they aren't allowed to do their thing at Mt. Hood or Mt. Adams, perhaps, in the interest of accommodating multi-use activities on federal land, they should be allowed to swarm all over Mt. St. Helens as they please. There's this though...
The Mt. St. Helens climbing permit contains the following, "The area of Mount St. Helens above treeline is a Traditional Cultural Property of the Cowlitz and Yakama Tribal groups... please conduct yourself in a manner that is respectful of both Tribal interests and the Mountain."

Guy

Post by Guy » April 29th, 2017, 5:44 am

pcg wrote:He claims that Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood are next on his list, but he is in for a rude surprise - I hope. Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood are designated wilderness (Mt. St. Helens is a National Monument) and all "aircraft" including hang gliders and para sails are prohibited in wilderness. A kite is a para sail.
Last April up on Hood above the Palmer:

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pcg

Post by pcg » April 29th, 2017, 6:21 am

That's below the wilderness boundary. I see them there too. The guy who summited MSH wants to summit Mt. Hood and to do that he has to enter wilderness.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 6th, 2017, 9:30 am

pcg wrote:That's below the wilderness boundary. I see them there too. The guy who summited MSH wants to summit Mt. Hood and to do that he has to enter wilderness.
Looks to be a Wilderness-free corridor all the way to the summit...
Attachments
capture.jpg
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pcg

Post by pcg » May 8th, 2017, 10:07 pm

kepPNW wrote: Looks to be a Wilderness-free corridor all the way to the summit...
Karl, not sure what that map shows, but I am certain that there is no corridor to the summit. Once you get to Crater Rock, you are in Mt. Hood Wilderness. Consequently, a wilderness permit is required to summmit Mt. Hood.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 9th, 2017, 4:51 am

pcg wrote:
kepPNW wrote: Looks to be a Wilderness-free corridor all the way to the summit...
Karl, not sure what that map shows, but I am certain that there is no corridor to the summit. Once you get to Crater Rock, you are in Mt. Hood Wilderness. Consequently, a wilderness permit is required to summmit Mt. Hood.
It's been a few years since I climbed Hood but I don't remember ever having to fill out a Wilderness Permit. We used to sign the climbing register at Timberline, maybe that's the same thing?
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pcg

Post by pcg » May 9th, 2017, 6:09 am

Guy wrote: It's been a few years since I climbed Hood but I don't remember ever having to fill out a Wilderness Permit. We used to sign the climbing register at Timberline, maybe that's the same thing?
No, they're separate. I've been going up since '84 and for as long as I remember they've been required. Usually they're stapled to the climbing register.
Attachments
permit.jpg