Reactions to trekking poles

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
sgyoung

Re: Reactions to trekking poles

Post by sgyoung » April 7th, 2017, 10:35 am

squidvicious wrote:...one of the reasons I resisted using them at first was because I felt silly and conspicuous. Now I really wouldn't want to be without them.
Same here. It took me forever to get a set for the same reason. I think the first time I used mine was on Table Mt. Going up I didn't need them and felt like an idiot with them strapped to my backpack but any self-consciousness was quickly forgotten on the way down because they were super useful. I still don't bring them on every hike but absolutely find them helpful on anything with a steep decent.

Chase

Post by Chase » April 7th, 2017, 6:46 pm

While suspiciously searching my car in Victoria, an agent
asked me about my "weapons" (trekking poles).

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 7th, 2017, 7:55 pm

I've never used trekking poles and once in a while someone will ask why I don't. I usually say "maybe I will when I'm really old". Now that I'm "really old", I'm going to have to think of something else to say! :D
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 7th, 2017, 10:59 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:I've never used trekking poles and once in a while someone will ask why I don't. I usually say "maybe I will when I'm really old". Now that I'm "really old", I'm going to have to think of something else to say! :D
Cyborgs don't need trekking poles. ;)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 9th, 2017, 11:02 am

I think my favorite reaction was a few years ago, after a long loop near Larch Mountain early in season. I was limping down the paved switchbacks at Multnomah Falls, leaning heavy on a trekking pole, with a bunch of mud on one of my legs. Near the bottom, a young kid pointed at my pole, got wide eyed, and asked: "Did you go all the way to the top of the falls?"

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 9th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Webfoot wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:I've never used trekking poles and once in a while someone will ask why I don't. I usually say "maybe I will when I'm really old". Now that I'm "really old", I'm going to have to think of something else to say! :D
Cyborgs don't need trekking poles. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 20th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Passed a trio of young ladies today. They said, one after the other, "Going skiing? Going skiing? Going skiing?"

That's okay, let 'em laugh. As they were getting out of bed, I'd already covered more ground than they would all day.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 20th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Chip Down wrote:Passed a trio of young ladies today. They said, one after the other, "Going skiing? Going skiing? Going skiing?"

That's okay, let 'em laugh. As they were getting out of bed, I'd already covered more ground than they would all day.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors