Indivisible

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Indivisible

Post by retired jerry » February 21st, 2017, 2:21 pm

Rand man posted a bunch of good links about environment legal issues. I wonder if that's an effective way to get people to take action?

I saw this while waiting for my car at the service place:

indivisible guide

They examined how the tea party has been effective and proposed how to use those techniques. Their context was opposition to Trump but it would be effective for any issue including supporting Trump or Rand's issue of preventing privatization of federal land.

Most effective is to have groups of preferably at least 10 people at town hall events. or similar events. ask questions, etc.

Less effective is to call on the phone

Your two Senators and one Representative

ineffective are emails, facebook, twitter, people other than your representatives

I don't know that this is any better than posting links on oregonhikers.org, but maybe?

https://www.indivisibleguide.com/

BurnsideBob

Re: Indivisible

Post by BurnsideBob » February 22nd, 2017, 9:08 am

Thank you, retired jerry, for providing the "Indivisible" link. I saw references to this in the media and was curious.

We Oregon hikers are dependent on the policies of federal agencies for hiking access. These policies are subject to change and I saw Rand man's efforts as alerts re proposed legislation and policy changes that could affect our access.

Because we are affected I feel this type of discussion is appropriate to our forum. Perhaps this type of discussion should be moderated. Perhaps it should be in its own forum. But it has a place.

So thanks again retired jerry for keeping the discussion of advocacy alive. We do have a stake, and "Indivisible" suggests one way to voice our concerns.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 22nd, 2017, 9:22 pm

For people in Oregon pretty much ALL the pressure has to go on Greg Walden. And if you don't live in a district that votes in his elections he (for better or worse, like most elected officials) won't give a damn what your opinion is.
For the most part Ron Wyden and especially Jeff Merkley already would be in agreement.

Charley

Post by Charley » February 22nd, 2017, 10:13 pm

retired jerry wrote: I saw this while waiting for my car at the service place:
Do you take your car to Tom Dwyer? Just a guess. ;)
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 23rd, 2017, 6:11 am

good one, yeah, Tom Dwyer

progressive center of the city

I first went there because they advertised on the progressive station that turned into a sports station

Now I go there because it seems like they don't do more work than necessary. Like, they fixed something for cheap that someone else tried to fix and charged me a bunch. Except, then it started failing again so I just ignore it now, the automatic locking function.

And it's not too far away

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 23rd, 2017, 10:24 am

For the most part Ron Wyden and especially Jeff Merkley already would be in agreement.

Instead of silently nodding, let them know you agree with what they are saying and doing. Positive reinforcement is also important!

drm

Post by drm » February 24th, 2017, 8:02 am

There are numerous Indivisible groups in towns within Walden's district. I was at a well-attended meeting of one such group last night, and we are all networking together across eastern Oregon. Walden calls Hood River home. He has been and is going to be hearing a lot from his constituents.

I also second the suggestion that if your representative or Senator does things or takes positions you like, you need to let them know that as well. It is good when they can report that they are getting 10:1 support for their positions from constituent contacts.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 25th, 2017, 6:59 am

Greg Walden will soon have to decide if his country is more important than his party.

Guy

Post by Guy » February 25th, 2017, 9:27 pm

pdxgene wrote:Greg Walden will soon have to decide if his country is more important than his party.
I agree with this Gene, but also lets remember as a congressmen he is elected by the the constituents within his district (as it should be). The only serous competition he has received in recent elections is not from the left but from the folks on the right who thought he wasn't right enough!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 25th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Guy wrote:
pdxgene wrote:Greg Walden will soon have to decide if his country is more important than his party.
I agree with this Gene, but also lets remember as a congressmen he is elected by the the constituents within his district (as it should be). The only serous competition he has received in recent elections is not from the left but from the folks on the right who thought he wasn't right enough!
I'll buy that but his first loyalty should be to the Constitution above all else.
And his supporters need to remember.... If a free press, and thus the 1st Amendment, is easy to call an enemy... so will the 2nd next time around.