Map for Eagle Cap Wilderness

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Love the Sierra

Map for Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by Love the Sierra » February 15th, 2017, 10:55 am

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good, map for the Eagle Cap Wilderness. I want to plan a summer backpack and am having quite a hard time finding one online. Preferably it would be tearproof and waterproof as well. Thanks so much!!

SCtoPDX

Re: Map for Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by SCtoPDX » February 15th, 2017, 11:13 am

I would go to Caltopo and build one, then save it as a PDF and print it at home on teslin or tyvek.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 15th, 2017, 2:12 pm

The Forest Service discontinued its printed topo map of the wilderness. The only commercially available printed map of Eagle Cap I know about is printed by GeoGraphics of Eugene, OR. It is on paper, not waterproof or tear-resistant, and in order to fit the entire wilderness onto one map the scale is not particularly detailed. The advice to use CalTopo to print your own is among the better solutions available. You can also access old US Geological Service quadrangles online (http://topomaps.usgs.gov) for free now, but they haven't been updated in many, many decades.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 15th, 2017, 2:44 pm

I've used geo-graphics maps of other areas, quite good

I have that discontinued FS map - I better take care of it :)

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » February 15th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Here's a good resource for the current FSTopo series, you can zoom to the quad you want and download...

https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/raster ... states.php

You can use these in conjunction with trail descriptions from the field guide here and/or a guidebook such as Douglas Lorain "Backpacking Oregon" or William Sullivan "100 hikes / Travel Guide Eastern Oregon."

Good luck!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 16th, 2017, 7:34 am

This thread reminded me that Green Trails was working on a map for the Eagle Cap Wilderness so I went looking for an update about that. According to this January 19 Facebook post, the map will be available this spring. Woo hoo!
Have you explored Northeastern Oregon's sprawling Eagle Cap Wilderness? Our Boots on the Ground Mapping crew spent two years hiking every trail here to help produce the finest and most-accurate map for this region. The map will be available this spring! Will you be hiking here this summer?

Love the Sierra

Post by Love the Sierra » February 26th, 2017, 7:09 am

Hi,
Justpeachy, that sounds wonderful. We will be there in August.
I bought the Geo-Graphics map and it is 10 years old and difficult to read even with glasses and a magnifying glass! (I read topos and trail maps all the time without glasses.)
I got a 2014 Falcon guide to hiking the Black Cap and also the Sullivan book. Now all I need is a good map for the trail.
Where can I find this new map?
Thanks again!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 26th, 2017, 8:04 am

Love the Sierra wrote:Where can I find this new map?
When it goes on sale you can get it from the Green Trails site (https://greentrailsmaps.com/maps/map) or probably at outdoor retailers like REI.

longstrides

Post by longstrides » March 16th, 2017, 2:56 am

just heard from Green Trails via Facebook. Wallowas map (475sx) will hit the shelves next week :D