Broken Top & Unnamed Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dfs1109

Broken Top & Unnamed Lake

Post by dfs1109 » September 8th, 2016, 11:57 am

Arrived at the Todd Lake Trail head at 5 am and stepped out at 530am. I was immediately delayed when someone asked if I had a 13mm socket and wrench because his truck broke down up the gravel road. Oddly enough, not only did I have what he was looking for but the socket/extension/wrench were all pieced together and ready for him (I haven't looked inside this tool kit in years)!

5 mins later I pushed out into the darkness. I went up to Broken Top TR junction and split left toward Green Lakes. I went north around Green Lakes to the north/northwestern ridgeline of Broken Top. There is no sign or obvious trail that takes you to the summit but for the most part you can follow old boot tracks up the ridge. I made it to the saddle that starts the steep climb to the peak but decided around that point the ground was too unstable and summiting was going to be impossible with technical gear. Ive been wondering about this route for over a year and now I know (successful attempt for me).

Traced my way back down the same ridgeline and back tracked to Green Lakes and all the way back to the junction of Todd Lake TR/Broken Top TR. This time I kept straight ahead (east on Broken Top TR) with the goal of reaching Unnamed Lake in the crater of Broken Top. Long open section of the trail so bring sunscreen. Saw several of unmarked trails that seem to lead up to Crook Glacier and others I don't know where they lead to. Once you reach Crater Ditch Creek cross over and follow trail up and to the right. Be sure not to take the trail directly along side the creek that heads upstream. At the next actual creek with running water I split left instead of crossing. This was unmarked junction but I believe both trails converge just a few hundred feet up. From here just follow the trail steeply up to the lake.

This lake is now my favorite place on earth and it was difficult to leave!

GPS 64st
Miles: 27.4
Time: 11:36 hr/min
Elev Gain/Loss: 5272 ft/5249 ft
Max/Min Elevation: 8041 ft/6096 ft

http://gpsfly.org/g/6433

Mt. Bachlor from Broken Top TR in the rising sun.

Reflections of South Sister on the Green Lakes.

Made it a little bit closer to the saddle (7100-7200 ft elevation) before realizing that there was no way I was going to climb up, so this was my turn around point on Broken Top.

Looking down on Green Lakes.

Unnamed Lake

Happy hiking!
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

retired jerry

Re: Broken Top & Unnamed Lake

Post by retired jerry » September 8th, 2016, 3:04 pm

nice area

I seem to remember previous threads about that lake, it's name, what a great area that is,...

did you leave him the wrench, let him fix his car, and return it when done while you were up hiking? If so, did he return it?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 8th, 2016, 6:42 pm

I was going to ask if you had mile/time stats. Glad I didn't, because I'd be embarrassed when you replied "hey dumbass, read my TR! :roll: "

That summit route is pretty easy to the summit block, but yeah, beyond there it's terrifying (crumbly heap of junk). So you could have gone a lot further, but the saddle is a good turnaround point. I don't remember anything about that route being fun or interesting or worth the terror. My favorite summit route is 11:00 Couloir when the entire route is under snow.

That lake is one of my favorite places too. Oh, I mean, it sucks, nobody should go there. ;)

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » September 9th, 2016, 9:51 am

retired jerry wrote:
did you leave him the wrench, let him fix his car, and return it when done while you were up hiking? If so, did he return it?

Yes I lent my wrench to him to attempt his truck... something to do with his starter he said. I asked him to return it and leave it behind my driver side wheel and upon my return it was there for me to recover. That is my second most thing that I'm afraid of when I go out for a hike, is returning and my car wont start! He appeared to have gotten out and if not he had plenty of other people coming and going from the TH.
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

Peder

Post by Peder » September 11th, 2016, 11:24 am

Great pictures. Now we all have to go there!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…