Anyone near Bend have hiking shoes and poles?

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
sgyoung

Anyone near Bend have hiking shoes and poles?

Post by sgyoung » August 18th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are in the Bend area with the goal of hiking South Sister. However, American Airlines has lost our luggage, which included all of our hiking equipment. This is a short trip and we have tomorrow (Friday 8/18) and Saturday (8/20) to make our summit bid. There is a very good chance our baggage won't make it hear before we leave. Is anyone in the area willing to sell or perhaps loan some basic hiking stuff.

We'd need shoes in men's 11 and women's 8.5. Some hiking poles would be cool too.

I realize this is both a weird and last minute request, but it seemed worth a shot. Feel free to reply here or PM. I'll check back.

Thanks!
Steve

adamschneider

Re: Anyone near Bend have hiking shoes and poles?

Post by adamschneider » August 18th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Costco frequently has $30 hiking poles.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 18th, 2016, 8:42 pm

adamschneider wrote:Costco frequently has $30 hiking poles.
Yeah, I am just seeing if there are any other options before getting all new stuff. Thanks though. You need a membership at Costco too, right?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 18th, 2016, 9:24 pm

sgyoung wrote:
adamschneider wrote:Costco frequently has $30 hiking poles.
Yeah, I am just seeing if there are any other options before getting all new stuff. Thanks though. You need a membership at Costco too, right?
Yeah... if you don't have a membership, never mind. But if you do, those $30 poles are pretty good, and nice to have around as a spare set.

Peder

Post by Peder » August 18th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Try Big 5 Sporting Goods for hiking shoes; I frequently buy $20 pairs there. There should be one at 61545 S Hwy 97, Bend, OR 97702, United States.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 18th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Peder wrote:Try Big 5 Sporting Goods for hiking shoes; I frequently buy $20 pairs there. There should be one at 61545 S Hwy 97, Bend, OR 97702, United States.
Thanks! We'll check out Big 5 as soon as they open. I appreciate the tips. That's definitely cheaper than going to Dick's or somewhere like that.

Appreciate the help so far and still welcome any other ideas too.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 19th, 2016, 6:55 am

For the sake of providing some resolution, our bag seems to have arrived in Redmond. I guess we'll join the herd going up on Saturday.

Thanks again for the help, Adam and Peder.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 19th, 2016, 7:10 am

sgyoung wrote:For the sake of providing some resolution, our bag seems to have arrived in Redmond. I guess we'll join the herd going up on Saturday.
Good to hear! Have fun up there. Was up there last weekend, and the best suggestion I can offer is starting as early as you possibly can. (As we left the crater rim about 7:45am, the first climbers for that day were just reaching the top.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » August 19th, 2016, 7:33 pm

kepPNW wrote: Good to hear! Have fun up there. Was up there last weekend, and the best suggestion I can offer is starting as early as you possibly can. (As we left the crater rim about 7:45am, the first climbers for that day were just reaching the top.)
That is indeed the plan. Partly to beat the crowds but also the heat (and haze, too - getting smokey down here, including a small fire on Mt. Tumalo that thankfully hasn't closed down Cascade Lakes Highway). Now that our bags are here we have headlamps and are ready to rock :)