Missing hiker near Jefferson Park

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Re: Missing hiker near Jefferson Park

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2016, 12:55 pm

if you get off the trail and lay down, out of view of plane with tree cover, it's very hard to find you

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » August 4th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Water wrote:
scrambler2 wrote:The person that went missing on Park Ridge a few years ago had some personal issues going on. Search and rescue told me that he may have just wandered off on purpose rather than deal with the court system.
Ronald Ohm?

His brother helped look for him and he was with two friends when he stayed behind. I'd believe it but still seems odd they didn't find him, or was it implied he started a new life? Also just, interesting thing to do to your friends..wouldn't you just go hike alone if you were going to do yourself in?

btw hows your north sister camp? came through the vicinity a few weeks ago and wondered--seemed like some big pondy's survived on the ridge. First time I saw the 'lucky' pondy since 2011.. sad, fallen over and kaput.
Hey there Water! The campsite was not affected by the fire but it came very close. The big mountain hemlock did fall but I did some work on it and now the base makes a great bench next to the fire. I think the combination of wind and old age did it in. Some big ponderosas did survive higher up thanks to their ridgetop locations. Looks like the lodgepole is finally starting its regeneration.

Yeah, I was told the guy who went missing was actually facing jail time. Not sure if that's true - sounds like he didn't want to be found.

Heading out for Mt Jefferson tomorrow. Either going to hike from Bear Point to Park Ridge or venture up to the Whitewater Glacier.
PCT class of 2012

Water

Post by Water » August 4th, 2016, 11:14 pm

have fun, be safe. good to hear from ya. keep that whitewater spot warm for me.. been a favorite the last few years (well all of them, by the glacier toe-tarns and at the last spots by the hedged whitebark that has made a nice break from the wind. I assume we're talking about the same approximate area.. there's the real nice 'table' rock right before the flat plain.

hmmm bucket and I are looking for a place to go, she's never been there before.. if you see a couple on sat morning, that'll be us!
Feel Free to Feel Free

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 8th, 2016, 9:18 am

Search called off. Sad. :cry:
Eleven days after an Analy High School graduate went missing in the Oregon wilderness, the official search for 21-year-old Riley Zickel was suspended Saturday night.

The Sheriff’s Office in Marion County, Oregon, reached the decision “after exhausting all available leads,” according to a news release from the department.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/59406 ... artslide=0
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kelkev

Post by kelkev » August 8th, 2016, 3:33 pm

I was in Jeff Park on Sunday, and we watched a helicopter searching the higher elevations of Mt. Jefferson on and off for a couple of hours. Now the search is being privately organized by the family. I also read that searchers from Corvallis Mountain Rescue attempted to reach an area of interest at around 9500' elevation today but were thwarted by poor weather conditions. Must have been something of serious suspicion to re-activate the team from Corvallis to search.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Water

Post by Water » August 26th, 2016, 12:49 pm

nothing still eh? weird. Some of the cascade disappearances give me the heebyjeebies—I'll hike solo, sometimes off trail..and try to be judicious. Getting hurt would be bad. Dying worse. Not being found, worst of all (for your loved ones sake).

Sad :(
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 26th, 2016, 1:01 pm

I usually avoid cross country solo for that reason. Although I'll cheat a bit if I can be specific about the route on my itenerary.