Missing hiker near Jefferson Park

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Schrauf

Re: Missing hiker near Jefferson Park

Post by Schrauf » August 3rd, 2016, 8:30 pm

-Q- wrote:
Mossy wrote:Reportedly, that is Sprague Lake he's camped on. Picture was taken on Friday.
Which one is sprague?? I was up on the top of park ridge and was checking out all those moraine-type lakes up high
It's the largest lake that is up on Park Ridge, on the slope facing Jefferson Park.

Mossy

Post by Mossy » August 3rd, 2016, 9:56 pm

If this was him, on last Friday he would have been a day overdue already, but just a few miles from his car at the trailhead. So a very curious place to camp in a few ways. Hopefully he just needed a few days of solitude and will show up soon.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 3rd, 2016, 11:21 pm

Schrauf wrote:
-Q- wrote:
Mossy wrote:Reportedly, that is Sprague Lake he's camped on. Picture was taken on Friday.
Which one is sprague?? I was up on the top of park ridge and was checking out all those moraine-type lakes up high
It's the largest lake that is up on Park Ridge, on the slope facing Jefferson Park.
Thank you.

Yeah, as of sunday, the ice on that lake was still intact. As was the ice bordering the other lakes as well. So I guess that's some good news after seeing that picture.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 3rd, 2016, 11:24 pm

Schrauf wrote:Such a weird place to camp. Besides the risk of the ice being thinner than it appears, why camp on wet snow when there are so many bare, dry sites? Obviously nothing went awry at this location because that lake has probably been searched very well by this point and the ice is probably still intact or he would have been found in the lake days ago and the search would be over. But regardless, a funny place to camp.
I agree. This is baffling.
Maybe to practice snow camping techniques??

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2016, 5:57 am

they found that guy, wasn't the missing hiker

yeah, cold place to camp. okay if it's really hot and you want to stay cool

Water

Post by Water » August 4th, 2016, 8:48 am

setup tent doesn't necessarily mean camped. Setting up a free standing tend this could just be a shot for instagram or something.. (one theory) for the stupid camp spot.

So Jerry...they found him or no? That poor man Ronald Ohm who disappeared at the top of park ridge years ago, never found. Sounded like he had diabetes and after his insulin ran out he would have perished but I am speculating on that (only news reports said he had 2-3 days of necessary medication).
Feel Free to Feel Free

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » August 4th, 2016, 11:23 am

Another theory is that he tried to loop back to Whitewater TH using the South Brietenbush and Crag trails.

Water - I think Jerry was saying the guy that camped on the lake is not the missing hiker. The guy in the photo contacted authorities.

The person that went missing on Park Ridge a few years ago had some personal issues going on. Search and rescue told me that he may have just wandered off on purpose rather than deal with the court system.
PCT class of 2012

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2016, 11:24 am

yeah, that wasn't the missing hiker

they're still looking for the missing hiker

if anyone thought they saw him that would be really useful

Mossy

Post by Mossy » August 4th, 2016, 11:38 am

Another theory is that he tried to loop back to Whitewater TH using the South Brietenbush and Crag trails
Did he start at Whitewater TH? His father had said "Marion County sheriffs lieutenant Baldridge and I rode up to the trailhead up a steep four-wheel-drive road to where Riley's car is parked" - I had guessed that description was of the road to the Breitenbush TH...

Water

Post by Water » August 4th, 2016, 12:27 pm

scrambler2 wrote:The person that went missing on Park Ridge a few years ago had some personal issues going on. Search and rescue told me that he may have just wandered off on purpose rather than deal with the court system.
Ronald Ohm?

His brother helped look for him and he was with two friends when he stayed behind. I'd believe it but still seems odd they didn't find him, or was it implied he started a new life? Also just, interesting thing to do to your friends..wouldn't you just go hike alone if you were going to do yourself in?

btw hows your north sister camp? came through the vicinity a few weeks ago and wondered--seemed like some big pondy's survived on the ridge. First time I saw the 'lucky' pondy since 2011.. sad, fallen over and kaput.
Feel Free to Feel Free