Oil train derailment near Mosier

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
romann

Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by romann » June 3rd, 2016, 1:06 pm

greenjello85

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by greenjello85 » June 3rd, 2016, 1:34 pm

Oh no! :( People were warned over and over of this possibility and the government assured everyone it would be ok...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 3rd, 2016, 1:34 pm

Only real surprise is that it took this long for it to happen...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 3rd, 2016, 1:44 pm

I'm crossing my fingers that the fire is limited to one car and the oil remains inside of the other cars. Sadly, it was just a matter of time.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 3rd, 2016, 2:07 pm

I didn't even realize this was a thing. I guess the silver lining of this accident is that more people will learn about the issues.

(By the way, what's the alternative to shipping oil on trains through the Gorge: sending it through Snoqualmie Pass? Donner Pass? The Panama Canal?)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 3rd, 2016, 2:07 pm

This may not be a popular idea, but

maybe they should put a pipeline in? they leak less often than rail cars. Oil rail car crashes around the U.S. are somewhat common

make sure the pipeline is state of the art at not leaking, and controlling it if it does, like have valves all along that automatically close

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 3rd, 2016, 2:08 pm

adamschneider wrote:(By the way, what's the alternative to shipping oil on trains through the Gorge: sending it through Snoqualmie Pass? Donner Pass? The Panama Canal?)
Best alternative is leaving it in the fracking ground! (At least until we burn up everyone else's.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 3rd, 2016, 2:16 pm

Here's the location:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 3rd, 2016, 2:18 pm

maybe enough land between it and the river so there won't be oil in the river

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 3rd, 2016, 2:19 pm

adamschneider wrote:I didn't even realize this was a thing. I guess the silver lining of this accident is that more people will learn about the issues.

(By the way, what's the alternative to shipping oil on trains through the Gorge: sending it through Snoqualmie Pass? Donner Pass? The Panama Canal?)
I think it matters what the final destination of the oil is. Everything I've heard says our oil comes from Alaska, which if true would mean this oil was for export in which case the risk we're taking isn't even for ourselves. Maybe it's hypocritical to look at it that way but I think there's a difference in taking risk at least a bit for your own interest or instead for some multinational corporate profits.