Hiker killed by bees

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
pdxgene

Hiker killed by bees

Post by pdxgene » May 27th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Okay, cross Arizona off the list....
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hiker- ... cid=AARDHP

adamschneider

Re: Hiker killed by bees

Post by adamschneider » May 27th, 2016, 7:24 pm

When I visited Scottsdale last April, I saw a "trail closed due to bees" sign. It seems to be a fairly regular thing.

Obviously we have plenty of bees here too, but they don't seem to cause trouble like they do in the desert... I wonder why.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 27th, 2016, 7:47 pm

adamschneider wrote:I wonder why.
I think the aggressive ones are "killer bees". So far it's too cold up here for them but things are warming up :shock:
- Michael

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » May 27th, 2016, 7:52 pm

adamschneider wrote:Obviously we have plenty of bees here too, but they don't seem to cause trouble like they do in the desert... I wonder why.
They may not kill people but they do cause problems. I got stung about around 25 times a few years ago between Cache meadow and frazier turnaround. It sucked.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 28th, 2016, 5:55 am

We had a close call with bees on the Tanner cutoff trail last July, multiple nests of angry bees for the best part of 2 miles right along the trail, we all got multiple stings.

Lots of reports of bee problems over several years in this area too on both sides of Tanner Creek. If I was to do the Tanner Cutoff again in Summertime I'd only do it going down hill!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 28th, 2016, 6:19 am

Guy wrote:We had a close call with bees on the Tanner cutoff trail last July, multiple nests of angry bees for the best part of 2 miles right along the trail, we all got multiple stings.
Bees, or yellow jackets?

Guy

Post by Guy » May 28th, 2016, 5:25 pm

adamschneider wrote:
Guy wrote:We had a close call with bees on the Tanner cutoff trail last July, multiple nests of angry bees for the best part of 2 miles right along the trail, we all got multiple stings.
Bees, or yellow jackets?
Apologies not bees, either Yellow Jackets or some other kind of ground dwelling angry wasp!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors