Tick bite question

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
squidvicious

Tick bite question

Post by squidvicious » May 27th, 2016, 3:07 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently picked up my first tick bite in decades. Not having had one since I was a kid, I'm finding I'm not sure what's normal healing and what I might want to have checked out.

I got this Wednesday a week ago. I'm normally pretty cavalier about tick checks, but this time I actually did look closely, multiple times. But sure enough several hours later as I'm getting ready for bed, Hey, is that a scab on my back, or...?

I couldn't reach it, so my husband pulled it. He didn't get it all in one go, and he flushed it before I saw it, so I have no clue what kind of tick or how many pieces it wound up in. He dug around a bunch and eventually said he was "pretty sure" he'd gotten the rest of the head. We only had clumsy, non-pointy tweezers and not a lot of experience with such things, and it's probably safe to say a lot of the "careful that you don't do this when removing a tick" things were done. Between the digging and the possibility of leaving bits in I've been checking every day for any sign of infection, but it was just looking clear and healing.

Now some nine days later, it's gone all red, a big smear around it a few inches across. No pattern, swelling, puss in the bite, or much of anything beyond a sudden big red blotch.

Shrug it off, wait to see if anything else develops, or have it checked out?

Waffle Stomper

Re: Tick bite question

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 27th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Pus is a sign of infection. I would call your doctor for advice, especially since it's been over nine days. Head parts might have been left under your skin.

As far as Lyme, etc. Here is a good reference.
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/symptoms.html
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 27th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Sorry, that was unclear: it was no pus (or pattern to the red blotch or swelling etc).

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 27th, 2016, 4:29 pm

If your doctor/clinic has gone electronic, you might want to send them a photo along with the timeline. It does sound like an infection, but probably not Lyme (which forms a bullseye pattern).

Usual caveat: Not a doctor; just play one on the Internet. ;)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 27th, 2016, 7:00 pm

squidvicious wrote:Sorry, that was unclear: it was no pus (or pattern to the red blotch or swelling etc).
I probably misread it. Still a large red area after that many days seems concerning.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 27th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Go to Urgent Care. Probably waiting until tomorrow would be soon enough.

If you get a rash or fever after tick bite you should go see doctor.

Untreated Lyme disease can lead to serious conditions

Useful info even if not Lyme disease - http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/

I got a tick bite a couple weeks ago. Scraped it off with a knife. No rash or fever.