Costco trekking poles?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chase

Costco trekking poles?

Post by Chase » May 22nd, 2016, 10:21 am

Someone mentioned buying trekking poles in springtime a while back. Anyone seen them at Costco lately?
Or does anyone have an extra pair they want to sell?

adamschneider

Re: Costco trekking poles?

Post by adamschneider » May 22nd, 2016, 11:06 am

I saw them there last month. If you want some, I'd go look soon, because they're definitely a seasonal item.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 22nd, 2016, 11:13 am

What type and how much are you willing to spend? I saw some very nice deals on top brand poles a couple of years ago when I was shopping for a pair for my mother.

Chase

Post by Chase » May 22nd, 2016, 1:12 pm

Thanks Adam.

I'm willing to spend maybe $50 if they are light and durable. Spending more is worth it for some people, but I they seem to be the easiest item for me to lose by setting them against a tree or whatever and not noticing for a few miles if the terrain past the tree is super easy. Or if I stow them they might fall out or whatever. So I like cheap ones.

Often Big 5 has some that I like. Haven't seen any this year, however.

So, I'll try Costco tomorrow or take webfoot up on his advice.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 22nd, 2016, 2:31 pm

As an example I got a pair of Easton Mountain Products CTR 60 poles from Dick's Sporting Goods for $50 and they are some of the stoutest poles I have handled. (I prefer the grips on my Leki poles as well as the shock-absorbing feature however.) Strangely I found the far more expensive Easton Mountain Products Hike Carbon Cork 3 to be much less sturdy to the point I could not make them lock tightly enough to hold under my full weight which I consider a necessity for my poles.

Do you need adjustable poles or are fixed length OK? Quick lock or twist? I'll try to keep an eye out for any good deals.

Right now leftlanesports.com has two poles in your price range though I know nothing of their quality. I have purchased from Left Lane Sports before and had no problems.

http://www.leftlanesports.com/mobile/pr ... p=MTS01307

http://www.leftlanesports.com/mobile/pr ... p=KMP01310

This is also a good buy on Leki poles, though more than you want to spend:

http://www.leftlanesports.com/mobile/pr ... p=LEK01253

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » May 22nd, 2016, 5:42 pm

I'm curious if anyone has tried the Kelty poles- 1st result here:

https://www.backcountryedge.com/backpac ... rder=price

$29.99 for a pair, I know they are twist-lock, which I don't mind, my last pair of leki's were twist-lock and I loved 'em.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 23rd, 2016, 12:37 am

I saw them last week at Clackamas Costco for $29 I think. They had the proper looking leg locks and I think the weight wasn't bad. I don't remember the weight but I did take the time to look up mine and compare. I honestly just gave them a cursory glance, checked the weight and walked away.

I commented that I'd have bought them if I didn't already have some.
- Michael

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 23rd, 2016, 3:37 am

Sierra Trading Post has the Mountainsmith Pinnacle poles for $25 and Komperdell Basic poles for $40, and you can take 15% off with code ALEXPLORE6 which just about covers shipping.

Chase

Post by Chase » May 23rd, 2016, 10:43 am

Thanks for all the replies!

Costco still has them. For $29.99 (for the pair) they seem like a good deal, so I bought a pair. They also extend more than most other poles, which is a feature I enjoy for when setting up my Tyvek shelter. Also, because I'm tall.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 23rd, 2016, 12:19 pm

Chase wrote:Costco still has them. For $29.99 (for the pair) they seem like a good deal, so I bought a pair.
They're a VERY good deal, especially since they come with the extra attachments (rubber feet, snow baskets) — which fit on my Leki poles. I keep a pair on hand for poleless friends.