Wyeth TH to North Lake 5/2/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
artic

Wyeth TH to North Lake 5/2/16

Post by artic » May 4th, 2016, 3:35 pm

On Monday my hiking buddy, Jim, and I headed up from the Wyeth TH to North Lake in the gorge. From the TH to the Lake there were roughly 40 switch backs (4220 eg), so yep it was a lot of up hill and almost as tough coming back down, knees and legs took a pounding. Snow patches started a ways past the intersection with 418, but not much of an issue with finding the trail since most of the time the trail was clear. Saw a bald eagle flying thru the trees right before we got to the Lake, guessing he was out fishing. A few small biting insects were out, but not in force yet. Beautiful day for a hike, plenty of sun and perfect temp. On the way back down you can save yourself some more up and a couple of switchbacks by taking the feeder trail into the campground and walking back to the TH- it is a short walk from the CG to the TH.
IMGP0001.JPG
MSH from one of the rare open views
IMGP0002.JPG
Jim headed up, most of the trail is under the tree canopy
IMGP0004.JPG
Looking over to Mt Defiance
IMGP0007.JPG
To the left of Jim you can see the trail, one of just a few snow patches
IMGP0008.JPG
North Lake

-bruce

sprengers4jc

Re: Wyeth TH to North Lake 5/2/16

Post by sprengers4jc » May 9th, 2016, 7:37 am

Thanks for the update on this area, Bruce! I have been eyeballing that area and wondering what conditions were like. Was there any blowdown that gave you trouble, or was it just steady and a bit annoying?
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » May 9th, 2016, 1:45 pm

The snow is sure melting fast. I saw a report a few weeks ago and North lake was pretty snowed in.
Thanks!

cherivo

Post by cherivo » May 19th, 2016, 8:34 am

Bruce, thanks for the trip report. I was thinking about doing this hike on Saturday but hiked with someone last night who was there two weeks ago and said they counted 64 blow downs one way. What was your experience with blow downs? Thank you!

...Vonne