ODOT Announces Gorge Transit Planning

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Splintercat

ODOT Announces Gorge Transit Planning

Post by Splintercat » November 13th, 2015, 11:53 am

The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) has recently announced a Gorge transit study - here's announcement, including opportunities to share your ideas on how transit to your favorite Gorge destinations might work:

Gorge Transit Planning

The primary goal of the study is to develop new travel options that enhance mobility and safety to recreational destinations in the Columbia River Gorge and between east Multnomah County and Hood River County.

Two planning horizons are being considered for this study:

1. Pilot Phase: New public transit connection between east Multnomah County and Multnomah Falls for introduction by May/June 2016. ODOT has a goal to commence pilot service prior to the June 7 100th year anniversary of the dedication of the Historic Columbia River Highway..

2. Short term (2-4 years): Determine the feasibility of enhancing existing intercity service between Portland and Hood River with stops at key recreational destinations/other major trip generators within the Gorge.

A key first step in the study process is to engage stakeholders, in a series of small group interviews to better understand the issues and opportunities for transit service in the Gorge and address questions and concerns regarding the study. If you would like to be part of the interviews please contact Kristen Stallman for additional information.

Kristen Stallman
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area Coordinator
Oregon Department of Transportation/Region 1
123 NW Flanders Street
Portland, Oregon 97209
503-731-4957
kristen.stallman @ odot.state.or.us

Charley

Re: ODOT Announces Gorge Transit Planning

Post by Charley » November 13th, 2015, 1:14 pm

As I game out various scenarios of post-peak-oil life in our region, I find that, aside from the day to day difficulties of potential oil shortages (increased prices, reduced economic demand for my profession), the most challenging thing to think about is "how am I going to get outdoors?" Mass transit is one good answer, because it spreads that cost out among numerous users, and creates options for increased economies of scale (rail, anyone?). Carpooling is another answer, and one that the Mazamas already put to use.

A mass transit system that allows access to Gorge trailheads would not only be useful for those without a car, but would also make some trips relatively easy: point to point trips at far flung trailheads would no longer require a private auto shuttle.

I've used the Mt Hood Transit system a little, and really enjoyed that. Snowy roads make the mountain less accessible, but the bus can ameliorate that effect. Here's to hoping we'll have something like this in the future for the Gorge!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 13th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Occasionally someone asks about mass transit to the gorge. There'd be a few people using it.

Some day I'm going to use SAM to go up to Timberline.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » November 22nd, 2015, 1:17 pm

Charley wrote:As I game out various scenarios of post-peak-oil life in our region, I find that, aside from the day to day difficulties of potential oil shortages (increased prices, reduced economic demand for my profession), the most challenging thing to think about is "how am I going to get outdoors?" Mass transit is one good answer, because it spreads that cost out among numerous users, and creates options for increased economies of scale (rail, anyone?). Carpooling is another answer, and one that the Mazamas already put to use.

A mass transit system that allows access to Gorge trailheads would not only be useful for those without a car, but would also make some trips relatively easy: point to point trips at far flung trailheads would no longer require a private auto shuttle.

I've used the Mt Hood Transit system a little, and really enjoyed that. Snowy roads make the mountain less accessible, but the bus can ameliorate that effect. Here's to hoping we'll have something like this in the future for the Gorge!
No parking permit issue at the destination end either, or concern of vehicle with valuables.