Jumbo Peak & Sofibida Peak 9/8 2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Jumbo Peak & Sofibida Peak 9/8 2015

Post by Don Nelsen » September 11th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Thanks go to Peder and also to KellyW for introducing me to the north end of Skamania County starting in Sept of 2014. Both of these gentlemen have expanded my horizons - (and seriously increased the time I spend driving to TH's - but that is another story!)

This hike is a partial repeat but mostly expansion of the one I took on 9/4 when I ended up soaked, hailed on, in danger of being hit by lightning and due to a late start, came out over an hour past sunset. This day, I planned a little better, the weather could not have been better and the fall foliage colors, (probably due to the weather a few days previous) were at peak.

Jumbo Peak has been described in some guidebooks as one of the best hikes in the region and I concur with enthusiasm. This is not a very long hike, the trails are in good shape and the views are wonderful. One can also hike to the summit of Sunrise Peak, a short distance away and also Sofibida Peak, an equally short distance from the main route.

On this day, I noted the damage the hail that hammered me on the 4rth had done to the foliage along the way in a few spots:

It only effected the plants with larger leaves and did not seem to hurt the conifers or plants with smaller leaves such as alder, and huckleberry.

Sunrise Peak:

Sofibida Peak more onthis later:

Shark rock in the distance. I climbed that little spire on the right a few weeks ago but was unable to get to the true summit. Bummer! But I will be back!

Looking south from the south foot of Jumbo Peak:

Looking north at the south face of Jumbo. That lighter colored slot is the way I went up, dubbing it "the Stairway route".

The Stairway - evidence on-site indicated goats were making this one of their routes:

Looking back the way I came:

Adams from near the summit of Jumbo:

Sofibida from the north face of Jumbo:

Sofibida is a bit of a bushwhack but the goat trails are everywhere so not a big deal. Once on the rock of the peak, piece of cake!

Jumbo from Sofibida:

This was only about 8 miles RT so is a very doable hike for just about anyone. Only problem: it is about 3 hours from Portland - one way - but well worth it IMHO.

dn

"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

woodswalker

Re: Jumbo Peak & Sofibida Peak 9/8 2015

Post by woodswalker » September 13th, 2015, 4:50 am

Oh no! Yet another new area to explore :D Love that plateau leading up to the rock peak.
Woodswalker

jessbee

Post by jessbee » September 13th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Those look fantastic! Thanks for sharing the pics. And add another 1.5 hr drive time for me... maybe some day :)
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Peder

Post by Peder » September 13th, 2015, 6:20 pm

That is a lot of driving for a short hike Don! Great pictures and I can say that other than Mountain Goats, Bosterson also used your "Staircase" a few years ago.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » September 13th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Don, your pictures are great these days sir!

What camera are you packing?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 14th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Thank you everyone for the nice comments!

EP: I'm using a Panasonic Lumix FZ70 with a polarized filter. It's worked out real well as I've had it a year now and have yet to lose it, drown it or otherwise destroy it. :roll:
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

-Q-

Post by -Q- » September 14th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Hey there don, great report on a great area. Spent a weekend up there earlier this year and loved it.

I watched a goat downclimb jumbo using your stairway route. Then he proceeded around the east side of the peak. Fantastic

Get Out Backpacking

Post by Get Out Backpacking » September 16th, 2015, 7:44 am

The Dark Divide is my favorite area now, got to get a trip to Juniper Ridge soon. Thanks for the update!