A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
pdxgene

A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by pdxgene » August 23rd, 2015, 4:28 pm

Anyone think they're close? Or already have it?
When I hit 500 web albums I thought maybe the complete randomness of everything might spread them out just right. But the much more likely having 4 on the 3rd of a month but none on the 2nd or 4th has happened far more often.
So I'm over 80% but still that's a long way off. And making the album is another story since...
I can't really see much of an audience for a 365 picture album to make it even worth the effort. Someone would almost need to be in prison or the hospital to be that bored... :lol:

This is what happens when you hike alone and have nothing else to think about for endless hours....

Guy

Re: A hiking picture for each day of the year...?

Post by Guy » August 23rd, 2015, 5:07 pm

pdxgene wrote:Anyone think they're close? Or already have it?
When I hit 500 web albums I thought maybe the complete randomness of everything might spread them out just right. But the much more likely having 4 on the 3rd of a month but none on the 2nd or 4th has happened far more often.
So I'm over 80% but still that's a long way off. And making the album is another story since...
I can't really see much of an audience for a 365 picture album to make it even worth the effort. Someone would almost need to be in prison or the hospital to be that bored... :lol:

This is what happens when you hike alone and have nothing else to think about for endless hours....
Cool idea, I'm not even close though considering more than 80% of my hikes are on Sundays.

Though when I think about it Sunday dates change each year, maybe I should take a closer look at this...
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 23rd, 2015, 6:05 pm

pdxgene wrote:Anyone think they're close? Or already have it?

Interesting idea for us data geeks, Gene, and I went to work on my logs when I saw your post. I took a look at my last 20 years of data and am missing only 2 dates, Dec. 7th and Dec. 22nd. I tagged leap day, too, but only once, in 2004. Well, you can bet on what I'll be doing on the 7th and the 22nd of Dec. this year! Thanks for the idea!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 23rd, 2015, 6:36 pm

It does kind of peck away at the back of your mind once you think of it until you check... :twisted:
Most of my 4 summer months are covered, it's the 4 months of standard time with the big holes. That's the time of year I work most too. But one of these days it'll all fall together.
I should be able to cross one more off tomorrow.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 23rd, 2015, 6:38 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Interesting idea for us data geeks, Gene, and I went to work on my logs when I saw your post. I took a look at my last 20 years of data and am missing only 2 dates, Dec. 7th and Dec. 22nd. I tagged leap day, too, but only once, in 2004. Well, you can bet on what I'll be doing on the 7th and the 22nd of Dec. this year! Thanks for the idea!
dn
That'll be cool if you can finish it off this year. I don't know what comes next after that... :lol:

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 23rd, 2015, 9:18 pm

Without trying TOO hard, it looks like I've only got 269 dates covered in the last 15 years or so (i.e., since I went digital). December is clearly the least active month for me, but hell, I'm three days short of even filling up May:

Jan: 24
Feb: 21
Mar: 21
Apr: 22
May: 28
Jun: 26
Jul: 26
Aug: 27
Sep: 21
Oct: 23
Nov: 17
Dec: 12

Peder

Post by Peder » August 23rd, 2015, 9:23 pm

pdxgene wrote:That'll be cool if you can finish it off this year. I don't know what comes next after that... :lol:
According to List of John, there are 5,790 peaks in Washington state. Don has more summits left on that list, than he can complete on the 7th and 22nd of December this year!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

jdemott

Post by jdemott » August 24th, 2015, 8:00 am

This topic reminded me of Jim Brandenburg, a nature photographer for National Geographic magazine, who gave himself the assignment of taking one and only one photograph each day hiking in the Minnesota woods for an entire season. What made this so impressive is that all the resulting photos were of publication quality and were featured in the magazine and then in a book titled Chased By The Light. Most photographers would be happy to get one keeper out of dozens. Even more impressive is that the project was shot roughly 20 years ago so it was all shot on film which is much harder to preview than digital.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 29th, 2015, 8:09 am

OK so I've been working on this a little bit since I saw your post. Really fun idea, and totally something that would have buzzed through my brain on a long solo hike.

I was surprised at how many I had left. I've got 10 years of photo albums. I know I've done a bunch more hikes that I didn't bother taking pictures of.

But I still have 74 days to go, yikes!

July I am only missing one day.

January and June are the worst...I'm missing 9 days each. JUNE! I found that quite hard to believe. But, I was a teacher for many of those years so I think trying to get away on a hike during the end of the school year was difficult. All the missing days are in the first half of June.

The next one I need to tick off is September 9, a Wednesday. Guess I'd better get on planning that.

This is not only an interesting project for data geeks. I enjoyed the excuse to go back and look through old photos from the east coast, when I just started getting into hiking. Hadn't looked at or thought about those photos in years. I'll admit, it totally sucked me in for a while. If you're looking for a reason to not clean the basement, prune the trees, etc. this is your project :)

And, Don, I also need December 22 so I'd be happy to tag along on your last day of the year hike!
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 29th, 2015, 8:15 am

jessbee wrote:
....And, Don, I also need December 22 so I'd be happy to tag along on your last day of the year hike!
Jess, you're on! It will be good to see you again.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller