McKenzie River Trail & Proxy Falls Loop (July 10)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

McKenzie River Trail & Proxy Falls Loop (July 10)

Post by Splintercat » July 15th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Spent last Friday evening visiting a few waterfalls along the McKenzie Highway -- first, the Proxy Falls loop, then a section of the McKenzie River Trail to visit Koosah and Sahalie Falls. It had rained the night before, leaving the ground soft, dust-free and pine-fresh! :) With the County Fair in progress, I pretty much and the trails to myself -- wonderful! Some pics from the trip:

The trail starts with a nice ramble through a lava flow, dotted with huge Douglas fir:

Stunted salal (!) in the lava flow with tiny leaves... neat! Lots of these stunted versions growing about the flow:

This giant Douglas fir (see trail to the right for scale) had blown down over the winter... centuries-old, for sure:

Another giant Douglas Fir and the thunderstorm clouds gathering above:

After a brief tour of the lava, the trail enters forest and soon arrives at a high overlook of Proxy Falls. A short scramble to the creek gives this more famous view (albeit, usually with more water):

A couple of close-up shots -- always a fun falls for photographers with lots of gorgeous detail:

Next, the loop continues to Upper Proxy Falls -- past some of the most confusing signs I've ever encountered on USFS trails -- just beyond this cryptic junction:

Upper Proxy rambles down a tall slope, then disappears into the lava flow from a small pool -- weird!

A closer view of the lower portion of Upper Proxy Falls -- pretty!

Next, I headed over to the McKenzie River to visit the much more rock-and-roll Koosah and Sahalie Falls on the McKenzie.... starting with the national park-esque visitors area at the Sahalie Trailhead:

...I'd forgotten how many stairs this trail has..! 182, to be exact... not that I was counting... ;-)

Sahalie Falls, always consistently lovely:

A hollow log for Chase:

Aquamarine tints and countless cascades along the McKenzie River:

Some really big trees line this canyon!

And finally, a look at Koosah Falls as I began to run out of daylight...

...and then sprinted back up those 182 steps to the trailhead..! As always, amazing scenery and magical scents and sounds in McKenzie country.

Tom :)

kelkev

Re: McKenzie River Trail & Proxy Falls Loop (July 10)

Post by kelkev » July 16th, 2015, 4:21 am

Ah, McKenzie Country...beautiful place. Awesome photos. Koosah and Sahalie are two of my favorite waterfalls, the roaring power is something to behold.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

lbernardrivas

Post by lbernardrivas » July 16th, 2015, 1:45 pm

Really gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 18th, 2015, 6:22 am

Beautiful waterfall pictures. The Proxy falls shots were especially nice.
Woodswalker

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » July 18th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Excellent photos Splintercat - - in a few states that series of cascades on the McKenzie would have its own viewing platform and tourist flocks. We do have an abundance of beauty. But really, did you really "sprint" back up those steps?