Diamond Peak- recommendations

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
kaltbluter

Re: Diamond Peak- recommendations

Post by kaltbluter » July 12th, 2015, 5:38 pm

mjirving wrote: What I wanted to do was to figure out if I could do a 360 of it and summit it. I looked at some maps and it looks like there is a patch-work of trails that makes this possible. Does anyone know if that is the case? (I could add to your hike selection while there too!)

Mike
Diamond Peak Trail #3699 has a lot of blow downs right now but it is easy enough to follow, that covers the West side. The PCT covers the East side.

The shortest way to connect them would be Yoran trail on the North end and Rockpile trail on the South, making the total loop less than 30 miles.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 12th, 2015, 5:48 pm

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks.

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » July 13th, 2015, 8:34 pm

There are a couple more things I should add.

There are no on-trail water sources for about 10 miles on the west side of Diamond Peak(section shown in purple on attachment). There are a few lakes that wouldn't require much of a detour but all the creeks shown on the map are dry.

Also, trail #3699 is a pretty bland walk in the woods. If you're looking for solitude you are likely to find it there. But if you prefer views and a little more varied scenery a loop on the east side of Diamond Peak offers more. There are enough trails over there that you can pretty much pick any distance you want from ~25 miles on up.
Attachments
DiamondPeakLoop.jpg

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 13th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Thanks for the tips! I've kinda got this round-the-mountain theme going on so the loop it is. The summit ought to break it up a bit too. Thanks!

Mike

Koda

Post by Koda » July 13th, 2015, 9:50 pm

FWIW (all I have to add to this) here is what Divide Lake looks like. IIRC there is also no water source between Divide Lake and Notch Lake...

Diamond Peak is a beautiful wilderness you will enjoy your time there.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

afwang1

Post by afwang1 » August 24th, 2015, 4:26 am

Hello all-

I'm an out-of-towner (from PA) and will be in Eugene next week visiting a friend. I was scoping out local hikes and posted here a few months ago, planning a hike to the Diamond Peak Wilderness area. I didn't want to start a new thread, figured I'd ask here about local conditions since I'm closer to travel time.

Plan: likely a "lakes tour" starting from Odell Lake, head towards Lakes Karen and Yoran (likely camp in that area too). Light bushwhack to the PCT and see Lils, Hidden, Arrowhead lakes on the way back.
Originally planned for this to be a slow going 1 overnight trip (I'm solo). My concerns/questions, if locals can help me out:

1. What's water level like currently? I was planning to filter lake/creek water but have been reading water levels quite low. Can anyone tell me if my plan is viable (water levels good enough for a single person to drink and cook for 1 day and 1 breakfast?)

2. What're the day high temp/night low temps? I trust locals more than the weather service for on-the-ground conditions.

3. Fire restrictions. The last notice I read was no open flames/fires. Only liquid fuel stoves allowed, can anyone comment on this (I typically use liquid -OH stove in a cat food can but have a MSR windboiler to use if needed).

4. Mosquitos? None? Medium? "cancel your trip" badness?

5. Any tips on how to best travel (or avoid travel) to the trailhead from Eugene? I'm unfamiliar with forest service roads and logging services, want to be as prepared (read: safe driver) as I can be.

All help is appreciated, thanks!

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 24th, 2015, 4:38 am

Should t be any Mosquitos now. No alcohol stoves/can stoves, the state is on fire. Hey 58 up to Summit of Willamette Pass.

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » August 24th, 2015, 6:50 am

afwang1 wrote:1. What's water level like currently? I was planning to filter lake/creek water but have been reading water levels quite low. Can anyone tell me if my plan is viable (water levels good enough for a single person to drink and cook for 1 day and 1 breakfast?)
Trapper creek will be flowing fine but I wouldn't bank on any of the smaller streams. Karen, Yoran, Lils, Hidden, Arrowhead and Midnight lakes will all have plenty of water for your needs.

afwang1 wrote:2. What're the day high temp/night low temps? I trust locals more than the weather service for on-the-ground conditions.
High temps could range between 70-100. I'd be surprised if the lows dropped much below 40 any time soon. Weather reports for Oakridge should give you a general idea for temps and precipitation.
afwang1 wrote:3. Fire restrictions. The last notice I read was no open flames/fires. Only liquid fuel stoves allowed, can anyone comment on this (I typically use liquid -OH stove in a cat food can but have a MSR windboiler to use if needed).
The exception to the fire restriction reads "Portable cooking stoves or lanterns using pressurized liquid gas or an enclosed solid fuel fire that uses a wick to distribute a flame." PDF of the notice is here.
afwang1 wrote:4. Mosquitos? None? Medium? "cancel your trip" badness?
Mosquitos will be mildly annoying, at worst. With a little luck you might not see any.
afwang1 wrote:5. Any tips on how to best travel (or avoid travel) to the trailhead from Eugene? I'm unfamiliar with forest service roads and logging services, want to be as prepared (read: safe driver) as I can be.
Two best places to start would be the small parking area near Shelter Cove or the PCT trailhead which can be accessed via the Gold Lake Sno-Park. Don't try to drive to the PCT trailhead from the southeast.

You'll be going through the tunnel on Hwy 58 which is under construction. Tripcheck says to expect delays under 20 minutes.

I'd highly recommend checking current fire activity the day before you leave.