Coldwater Peak 5-31-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Arturo

Coldwater Peak 5-31-2015

Post by Arturo » June 1st, 2015, 7:24 am

I've come to use Oregon Hikers for information on so many hikes I figured it's time to give back and take a wing at a trip report.
I did the South Coldwater trail up to Coldwater Peak yesterday May 31 with two buddies. Last day of May and it was hot. The sun was pretty brutal most of the day too. Bring lots of water. We ran out with 3 miles left until the parking lot. I do a lot of Gorge and Coast hiking and it's just a different animal on this exposed hike around St. Helens blast zone.

Got on the trail about 9:30am (had about 90 miles from the Portland area to get the trailhead). Gorgeous sunny day, which I learned is a catch-22 in this place. You want the clear skies to see all the amazing views you can find on this hike ... but you're begging for some cloud cover on your return.

Came up the South Coldwater trail that kind of zig zags across the ridge so that sometimes you get a view of Coldwater Lake and sometimes you get a view of South Coldwater Creek.

Coldwater Lake and Mini Wizard Island:

First glimpse of her Majesty from South Coldwater Trail (230A):

Flowers growing in the crane wreck:

The prize from 230A. Seven miles never looked so close until you start hiking it:

Resembles a cemetery with the stumps as headstones:

Gorgeous paths and views the entire way:

Trees strewn across the landscape like matchsticks ... still there 35 years later:

Love this trail!

Looks likes she's venting:

Getting closer to the peak:

Mt. Adams:

Mt. Rainier on the switchback to the summit:

5,727 feet!

Another view from the summit:

Headed home:

I think this is a trail everyone should do once in their life. Then you can ask yourself if you would do it again. Today my answer is a resounding no. At least that's what my feet are telling me.

This is probably hard to do in the snow as only the first part of the trail has marker poles, and some are down. You really gotta pick your poison with this hike. Spring or Fall with an eye towards the forecast. Happy Trails!
Last edited by Arturo on June 1st, 2015, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sprengers4jc

Re: Coldwater Peak 5-31-2015

Post by sprengers4jc » June 1st, 2015, 7:37 am

Great report! Thanks for posting. We look forward to many more from you now :D.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Charley

Post by Charley » June 1st, 2015, 7:44 am

I remember a few sumemrs ago, June or July or something, and people kept trying to get up there, but got turned back by miles of consolidated, steep snow. Not this year!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » June 1st, 2015, 8:26 am

There wasn't a nanogram of snow anywhere. And thanks for the welcome!

Yakapovich

Post by Yakapovich » June 1st, 2015, 8:47 pm

Great hike. What a view. Hard to imagine the destruction that had taken place there.
How many more miles.....

Peder

Post by Peder » June 2nd, 2015, 10:39 am

Arturo wrote:You really gotta pick your poison with this hike. Spring or Fall with an eye towards the forecast. Happy Trails!
In "normal" years you cannot really do Coldwater Peak till July unless you are willing to face lots of scary steep snow on the last stretch up to the summit! Fall (September) hikes in the area are warmly recommended if you like huckleberries.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Arturo

Post by Arturo » June 2nd, 2015, 2:12 pm

Peder wrote:
Arturo wrote:You really gotta pick your poison with this hike. Spring or Fall with an eye towards the forecast. Happy Trails!
In "normal" years you cannot really do Coldwater Peak till July unless you are willing to face lots of scary steep snow on the last stretch up to the summit! Fall (September) hikes in the area are warmly recommended if you like huckleberries.
Is that what those plants that looked like strawberry runners were?
Tens of thousands of them all around.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 2nd, 2015, 3:08 pm

Arturo wrote:
Peder wrote:
Is that what those plants that looked like strawberry runners were?
Tens of thousands of them all around.
No, those are actually wild strawberries! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...