Partial Ape Canyon Hike 5-22-15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
meana39

Partial Ape Canyon Hike 5-22-15

Post by meana39 » May 23rd, 2015, 3:49 pm

I've been wanting to venture out on some trails I've not done before, so that's my goal this summer to do as many different hikes as I can. I'd hiked from Windy Ridge on Mount Saint Helens a few years ago, but haven't really done any other trails in the area, other than the Ape Caves, which I don't really count as a hike.

My youngest daughter and I started a bit late from home, left at 9:30am and got to the Ape Canyon Trail head by 11:00am, a little later than I had wanted. It was a bit cold, breezy and more misty than rain with NO views of the Mountain, but I figured maybe it would clear up, and even if it didn't, oh well, I always enjoy a nice hike in the forest.
a.jpg
I loved this sign just a bit into the trail!
a1.jpg
Our view in the morning...
a2.jpg
Love the Vanilla Leaf..... I wonder, is it edible?
a5.jpg
I caught up with my daughter and she was standing in the trail looking up at this view.
a7.jpg
We caught up with a gentleman who had went past us at the start of the trail, he was standing there wondering what that sound was we were hearing. I really had no idea, I've heard it twice before, once on Dog Mountain and on Wind Mountain. It's a really deep "whoo" kind of sound, not really like an owl, and it usually goes in sets of 5 and then stops. About then a biker was coming down the trail and we asked him if he knew. He said it was either a grouse or ptarmigan, I've tried finding their call on some online sites to verify but really can't find anything even close.

They were only 3 of the 5 people we saw all day. Loved the misty atmosphere!
b4.jpg
We really wanted to make it to the end of the trail, but knowing there wouldn't be any views, and figuring out how much longer it would take us we decided to turn back at mile 4, making it an 8 mile hike for us.
Our turnaround spot....
b7.jpg
I couldn't resist hugging my tree! I really loved this forest!
c1.jpg
The mist had cleared a bit by the time we got back down to the trail head, but still no mountain!
c2.jpg
Loved this tunnel of green!
c4.jpg
Forgot to add the map and elevation from my garmin, I had no idea we were that close to the mountain!
hikemap.jpg
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Zia

Re: Partial Ape Canyon Hike 5-22-15

Post by Zia » May 23rd, 2015, 8:41 pm

I'm curious to know what the "whoop whoop" sound it as well. I was up there today for the second time in the last few months and both times I heard that sound. very distinctive and I can't find anything on the web on it either.

romann

Post by romann » May 23rd, 2015, 11:51 pm

Zia wrote:I'm curious to know what the "whoop whoop" sound it as well. I was up there today for the second time in the last few months and both times I heard that sound. very distinctive and I can't find anything on the web on it either.
Bigfoot?

:lol:

Nice report & I also enjoy the woods up there, so many huge trees and just yards away - total devastation from the lahars (and later on Plains of Abraham). So many contrasts on that hike. Looks like vine maples have grown quite a bit since I was last there, would be cool to see this place in the fall.

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » May 24th, 2015, 12:01 am

My husband and I just went through trying to figure out what was making that noise. I had always figured it was some sort of a bird, and hadn't given it much thought. My husband had associated it with bear cubs since he heard that noise right before we ran into some last year. :o So, since we have been hearing the noise all the time recently, we just had to know what it was. We found a thread on this topic from this site, which identified the sound as coming from a male grouse. We also did eventually find a sound recording of it somewhere. :)

Zia

Post by Zia » May 24th, 2015, 5:45 am

romann wrote:
Zia wrote:I'm curious to know what the "whoop whoop" sound it as well. I was up there today for the second time in the last few months and both times I heard that sound. very distinctive and I can't find anything on the web on it either.
Bigfoot?

:lol:

Nice report & I also enjoy the woods up there, so many huge trees and just yards away - total devastation from the lahars (and later on Plains of Abraham). So many contrasts on that hike. Looks like vine maples have grown quite a bit since I was last there, would be cool to see this place in the fall.
Haha every other webpage that came up on my search seems to think so. :lol:

meana39

Post by meana39 » May 24th, 2015, 7:05 am

Searched and searched all kinds of web sites trying to find that sound ... finally found one of the blue grouse here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuR6wShbqQk
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Zia

Post by Zia » May 24th, 2015, 7:48 pm

meana39 wrote:Searched and searched all kinds of web sites trying to find that sound ... finally found one of the blue grouse here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuR6wShbqQk

Yup that sounds just about right. Thanks!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 24th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the TR! I love that trail and did it with my daughter about 20 years ago and again just last year. Too bad you didn't have better weather but that's been the problem this last few days.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Zia

Post by Zia » May 24th, 2015, 9:21 pm

We got a short 20 minute window of opportunity yesterday
Attachments
043resize.jpg
043resize.jpg (98.07 KiB) Viewed 4691 times

the hiking nurse

Post by the hiking nurse » May 25th, 2015, 7:36 pm

I've heard that sound the last couple times I was on Silver Star...always thought it was a squirrel of some sort....nice to have that mystery solved :D