Wolf Creek Trestle Hike 4/15/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
artic

Wolf Creek Trestle Hike 4/15/15

Post by artic » April 15th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Went out to Timber for the 1st time to check out the Wolf creek trestle hike. The driving direction were pretty good until the last turn, couldn't find the track. Had to backtrack and pull out the map and discovered if I had just went another mile I would have found it the first time. I parked my truck on the one road that dead ends in a big circle parking lot instead of parking on the siding road next to the tracks. The other mistake I made was heading west on the south track instead of heading west along the track road on the north set of tracks. The south track ends up dead ending on a logging road but there is a caboose you can climb into, full of rodent feces. After backtracking yet again I headed west on the north tracks. There are a couple of tunnels and trestles to pass thru/over. The tunnels can be done without a light if you take your time but my headlamp kept me from having any issues. Some elk droppings and deer tracks but no animals. The road from Timber to the tracks is gravel and ok for car traffic, today it was still muddy but cars were easily making it in. Nice day on the trail (aren't they always :) ). In the areas where the track has been undercut and left hanging in mid-air there was always an easy side trail to get around. Here are a few pics.

-bruce
IMGP6945.JPG
IMGP6946.JPG
IMGP6947.JPG
IMGP6953.JPG
IMGP6960.JPG
IMGP6963.JPG
IMGP6966.JPG

RobFromRedland

Re: Wolf Creek Trestle Hike 4/15/15

Post by RobFromRedland » April 15th, 2015, 6:24 pm

That is interesting about the caboose. First I've ever heard of it. I'll have to go and check it out one of these days. I did the whole traverse in one day, doing a shuttle hike from Cochran to Salmonberry. That is a beautiful stretch and it is amazing to see the raw power of nature in all its fury. Those trestles are neat to walk across too.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

theslowestpersonever

Post by theslowestpersonever » April 17th, 2015, 8:33 am

Awesome! How was the brush on the tracks? I dropped in off of Hwy 26 last August battled the brush and overgrowth all the way down. Cool area for sure.

artic

Post by artic » April 17th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Brush on the tracks was not too bad but in the next couple weeks when the leaves all become full size it will definitely limit the view and feel like walking in a green tunnel through some sections. I will probably wait until the fall to go out here again.

-bruce