Demise of PortlandHikers

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Bosterson

Re: Demise of PortlandHikers

Post by Bosterson » February 3rd, 2015, 11:36 am

Koda wrote:I've never read anywhere in the website that it was a requirement to be from Portland to be a part of the Portland Hikers forum.
That's not what I said. It's a "local" forum because local people use it. Other people use it too, and local people go to non-local places, but in terms of meeting up for hikes, making (non-internet) friends, Meeting n Deeting, those are aspects of local community, which is one reason why PH is great.
TKO... grow their marketing campaign
See, that's where you start talking about them like they're a corporation, which is weird... :?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Re: Changes ahead for the forum on February 9

Post by kepPNW » February 3rd, 2015, 11:37 am

payslee wrote:It's probably past time that I left. If I have the energy over the next few weeks I'll erase myself.
Please don't erase your farewell. You'll be deeply missed, and folks deserve to know what pushed you away. :cry:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 3rd, 2015, 11:41 am

Bosterson wrote:
Koda wrote:TKO... grow their marketing campaign
See, that's where you start talking about them like they're a corporation, which is weird... :?
The only reason a corporation rebrands is when they're loathed by customers and non-customers alike. (Think Xfinity née Comcast, as a prime example.) Throwing away a successful brand is considered the height of lunacy in most marketing circles. So yeah, we are definitely in the realm of "weird" here.
Karl

Koda

Post by Koda » February 3rd, 2015, 11:48 am

Bosterson wrote:
Koda wrote:I've never read anywhere in the website that it was a requirement to be from Portland to be a part of the Portland Hikers forum.
That's not what I said. It's a "local" forum because local people use it. Other people use it too, and local people go to non-local places, but in terms of meeting up for hikes, making (non-internet) friends, Meeting n Deeting, those are aspects of local community, which is one reason why PH is great.
TKO... grow their marketing campaign
my bad, I didnt meant to imply TKO was a corporation and yeah that would be a bad analagy. Sorry about that. I was just trying to say I understand why TKO wants to change the name. I also see what your saying about local now, an over assumption on my part to think you meant different.

Karl, I see what your saying and agree that the name Portlandhikers is very successful. Thats a good point and hopefully TKO has considered that it can be a game changer to change names.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 3rd, 2015, 11:50 am

The most charitable assumption I can make about karl's starting of this thread is that he was terribly bored and wanted to stir up some mischief. But that is really no different in motive or action from all those adolescents who make prank phone calls. On the internet it's called "trolling". :roll:

Guy

Post by Guy » February 3rd, 2015, 12:04 pm

kepPNW wrote:
That's the way most folks in the USA feel about using "American" to refer to their fellow citizens.

More than a few Canadians see that as just a bit arrogant, if not entirely ignorant.
OK Thread Drift Here but I know a lot of Canadians & they most commonly refer to those of us to the South as "Americans".

If People who live in Canada are Canadians & people who live in Mexico are Mexicans what are the folks in America supposed to be referred to as???
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 3rd, 2015, 12:09 pm

Guy wrote:OK Thread Drift Here
Yeah, apologies to the group for that particular drift. Room for disagreement there. As here.
Karl

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » February 3rd, 2015, 12:39 pm

Wow I never realized how much political tension was on this site. I personally love the website, and I am not concerned about a name change. I'm curious, why are people anti-TKO? I'm fairly ignorant on the subject, but they seem to be an organization that advocates maintaining existing trails, and building new ones through volunteer work as well as increasing funding so that public trails are maintained with public funds. This seems like a winning combination ;) Is it a resentment over TKO's control over PH? I'm fairly new to the forum so I don't know about much about PH founding or trailkeepers of oregon. I did just read that PH was founded before TKO. Perhaps folks supported the idea of PH but not forming a nonprofit?
~Dan

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » February 3rd, 2015, 12:41 pm

How about . . .
hikerswholiveinoregonandsomeofwashingtonwithinprescribedcountiesunlesseasternwashingtondecidestocreateitsownstateandifyoudonotliveherejustlookanddonotpostohyouneedtohavebeenbornheretoo.org.

Did I leave anybody out?
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

R11

Post by R11 » February 3rd, 2015, 12:45 pm

LOL :lol:. What a positively (er, negatively) ridiculous thread. It's just a fricking hiking web site for cripes sake!!! Who gives a crap what the hell it's called? It never ceases to amaze me the totally stupid things people get all tweaked out over. The phrase, "Get a life" comes to mind.....

ron