Demise of PortlandHikers

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
kepPNW

Demise of PortlandHikers

Post by kepPNW » February 3rd, 2015, 6:17 am

Splintercat wrote:Most importantly, I would like to (re)welcome all of the members of this forum who have signed on over the years from places outside of Portland. You've always been a valued part of the community, but that's about to become official.
BS
Last edited by kepPNW on February 3rd, 2015, 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

texasbb

Re: Changes ahead for the forum on February 9

Post by texasbb » February 3rd, 2015, 7:30 am

Okay, time out for just one minute!

What's this all about:

??

If you're expanding from Portland to all of Oregon shouldn't you also expand from Southwest Washington to Southern Washington? Maybe you don't allow suggestions from outsiders, but there's mine anyway! :)

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 3rd, 2015, 7:37 am

Maybe northwesthikers.org would be a better name....? The forum covers most all of Oregon and Washington, and we regularly get reports from neighboring states. Regardless, I guess it is the same Bat time, same Bat channel :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 3rd, 2015, 7:49 am

sprengers4jc wrote:Maybe northwesthikers.org would be a better name....? The forum covers most all of Oregon and Washington, and we regularly get reports from neighboring states. Regardless, I guess it is the same Bat time, same Bat channel :).
That won't work. A very slight variation of that already exists. Anything with the word 'northwest' in it is out. It would just confuse people.

Oops, a bit late to update this but here's the one I was talking about
www.nwhiker.com
Last edited by pdxgene on February 3rd, 2015, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

payslee

Post by payslee » February 3rd, 2015, 7:51 am

Good grief, are we going here *again*?

If this is like the last time, y'all can make all the "suggestions" you want, Splintercat will remind us that this isn't a community of diverse opinions with decisions made by consensus, its a community designed to make "Oregon Trailkeepers" feel important.

-sg

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 3rd, 2015, 8:23 am

pdxgene wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:Maybe northwesthikers.org would be a better name....? The forum covers most all of Oregon and Washington, and we regularly get reports from neighboring states. Regardless, I guess it is the same Bat time, same Bat channel :).
That won't work. A very slight variation of that already exists. Anything with the word 'northwest' in it is out. It would just confuse people.
Ah, thanks for the correction, Gene. I googled it and didn't see an existing site for it and wasn't aware that a variant existed already.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 3rd, 2015, 8:28 am

Well, here we go - Karl, you didn't disappoint me! ;) Change can be hard, folks -- but this one shouldn't be, for all the reasons I posted in the general announcement.

Fine to vent here, but let's keep it civil and adult-like, please. This change isn't open for discussion, though if you're willing to join the TKO board, you too can help us run this place and be part of steering the future of the forum and TKO -- see me for details! Special venting rights go to those who have supported the forum and TKO with donations -- not very many, unfortunately -- but you know who you are, and we do appreciate you!

Thanks... and remember, this really won't hurt a bit in the great scope of human events. I promise. Way worse to be living in Eastern Ukraine, South Sudan or have an ebola epidemic in your neighborhood, for example.

Carry on...

Tom :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 3rd, 2015, 8:48 am

Oh, Tom, you're certainly a brave web person to endorse such change... :o

But for those of us (me?) out here on the edge of the empire,

"Oregon" sounds a little more inclusive than "Portland." But those folks in Washington seem like the ones you have to really convince.

What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all myself.
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

Regardless of what it's called, this is a great hiking forum and I sincerely hope you (we) can keep in going.
Last edited by VanMarmot on February 3rd, 2015, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » February 3rd, 2015, 8:57 am

i love everyone

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 3rd, 2015, 9:05 am

Your sincerity is positively underwhelming, Tom.

I have contributed monetarily, and in other ways, to this forum for several years.

Now, you choose to exclude me, and my half-million neighbors, by name.

Not nice, Tom. Not nice, at all. :evil:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...