A Frog Lake to Twin Lake Snow Shoe Loop - 2015/01/11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

A Frog Lake to Twin Lake Snow Shoe Loop - 2015/01/11

Post by Guy » January 12th, 2015, 5:09 pm

Heading up the mountain on Sunday - couldn't believe have much snow had vanished around Government camp compared to the previous week! We headed over to the Frog Lake Snow Park for the first time. We all have popular places on our list that for some reason we have never visited & for me this is one of those areas. I may have visited Upper Twin lake in the 80's but apart from that I've never hiked in this area!

Arriving about 9:00 we found only 1 other car & a sled dog truck parked in the lot. Chiyoko & Chizuru were hoping that we would run into the Sled Dog team out on the trails but we didn't cross paths.

First we headed down the road towards Frog Lake.

We then back tracked up the road a short ways looking for a trail that was on the map leading from Frog Lake Road up to the the Frog Lake Buttes Trail. We missed it at first because the sign was missing from the post. I don't know if it was just missing or they take it down for the winter as the trail doesn't have those blue diamond snow shoe markers. No one had been this way before us but it was pretty easy to follow giving us about a 1000' of climb in a mile to it's junction with Frog Buttes Trail that comes up from Lower Twin Lake.

We hit the Frog Buttes Trail half a mile & 500' below the Summit & though not expecting a view we figured that we better go up & tag the top so that we could say that we have been there!

Heading back down we stayed on the trail leading to Lower Twin Lake, the trees along this trail are marked with a slash of red paint. There was one other set of snow shoe prints along the way but it doesn't seem like a lot of people use this trail.

We stopped for lunch & the Grey Jays were out in force at Lower Twin Lake & seem to share my love of Mince Pies ;) !!

http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3 ... 71_qpDWNHg

We had planned to also tag Upper Twin Lake but it had started to rain & so decided to head for home instead, saving Upper Twin Lake for another trip.

All told the hike came in at 7 miles & 1700' of EG.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

walrus

Re: A Frog Lake to Twin Lake Snow Shoe Loop - 2015/01/11

Post by walrus » January 12th, 2015, 7:43 pm

I've met those jays! (or maybe their parents...)
2013-01-01 024 (500x640).jpg
Lovely report, now I want to go back

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 12th, 2015, 7:52 pm

& seem to share my love of Mince Pies ;) !!

:lol: Great TR Guy, the jays always seem to share my love of food too :D I remember trying to have lunch at Frog Lake a few years ago and it was like feeding a loaf of bread to the gulls at seaside :D

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 13th, 2015, 8:43 am

I was thinking about getting up there and was wondering how the snow was. The web cams showed some snow right at the trailhead which is a good sign, but I was happy to see your report. Love the Grey Jays.
Woodswalker

OldHouseMan

Post by OldHouseMan » January 13th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Is that Olallie Butte in your second picture?

Guy

Post by Guy » January 13th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Yes Olallie Butte with Jefferson in the clouds behind.
I remember trying to have lunch at Frog Lake a few years ago and it was like feeding a loaf of bread to the gulls at seaside :D
:lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

CraigG

Post by CraigG » January 13th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Nice! That reminds me I need to get out there before more of the snow melts!