Lost Dog Mcintyre ridge north of douglas ridge trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Waffle Stomper

Re: Lost Dog Mcintyre ridge north of douglas ridge trail

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 22nd, 2014, 9:17 pm

Good luck. I hope you find him.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » December 23rd, 2014, 7:39 pm

Assuming you haven't run out of dirty T shirts (I hope you retrieve the ones you left out before the snow level drops; undoubtedly they have been rinsed clean by now), you might want to leave one next to the food--the smell of you might encourage Huey to stay there.

You and Huey continue to be in my thoughts and prayers!

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » December 29th, 2014, 7:35 pm

HUEY IS HOME!!!!! A good samaritan family found him walking down Salmon River Road in welches this afternoon (after hiking;). They notified us, picked him up and held him until we arrived! They wouldn't even accept the reward, we are so grateful! We took him to the vet as a precaution but he is in excellent shape. He lost around 15 pounds, was a bit stinky, and his paws had some small sore spots. He was chubby to begin with so he's only slightly skinny looking :) Our family is so relieved to have him home! He's pretty much the same dog that went missing: he still pulls on his leash, whines to go visit other dogs, and loves everybody he meets! :lol:

Cleanish

We love Huey so much and are ecstatic to have him home!!!! Thank you for your suggestions and kind words. A BIG thank you to the family that picked him up!!!! I hope you are very blessed in the future!
~Dan

Zia

Post by Zia » December 29th, 2014, 7:43 pm

What wonderful news! So glad that he is okay and home. :)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 29th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Wow - that's amazing! That probably means that he followed people scent to Wildcat Mountain, then over to the Plaza Trail, and then maybe down to Cheeney Creek and across the bridge over the Salmon at that trailhead..? That's an amazing journey -- can't imagine that he would have gone cross-country and made it, much less forded the Salmon River this time of year... great news for you and your pup! :D

Tom :)

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » December 29th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Splintercat wrote:Wow - that's amazing! That probably means that he followed people scent to Wildcat Mountain, then over to the Plaza Trail, and then maybe down to Cheeney Creek and across the bridge over the Salmon at that trailhead..? That's an amazing journey -- can't imagine that he would have gone cross-country and made it, much less forded the Salmon River this time of year... great news for you and your pup! :D

Tom :)
I hiked to just past wildcat mountain on the southern side the day after he was lost. I hiked the boulder ridge-plaza-bonanza trail two days previous to him going missing. Huey and I also hiked the salmon river trail within a week of when he went missing so he may have scented his way out!

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » December 29th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Yesssss!!!
Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » December 29th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Incredible story! So glad he's home!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » December 29th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Congratulations! That was some journey he took. I'm glad it had a happy ending.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 29th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Very happy ending!
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"