Replacement for Coolpix S52

Camera Gear, How-To, Questions
jamesthehiker

Replacement for Coolpix S52

Post by jamesthehiker » November 23rd, 2014, 11:22 am

Well the Nikon Coolpix S52 passed on and I’m looking for a replacement; this camera worked well because of the size and ease in use. The Sony A6000 with 16-50 looks like a nice upgrade replacement but wanted to reach out to those who are into our outdoor hiking trails to get your thoughts. My iPhone 5 has worked decently lately but I’m looking for more on most occasions. I also have a DLSR Nikon D5000 but use it only on rare occasions because of the size. The key is to have something that I can access easy (hooked to shoulder straps or in a pocket) and is simple to use. Any other cameras you would suggest?

adamschneider

Re: Replacement for Coolpix S52

Post by adamschneider » November 23rd, 2014, 12:26 pm

I like the Canon PowerShot G series for all-purpose smaller-than-an-SLR photography. However, I do NOT like that they removed the articulating screen from the G15 & G16, so I'm holding onto my G12 for dear life.

That A6000 looks pretty sweet, but keep in mind anything with an interchangeable lens will be fairly bulky — especially coming from that tiny CoolPix!

jdemott

Post by jdemott » November 23rd, 2014, 4:14 pm

A Canon S120 would be a decent replacement for something like your old Coolpix--a simple, pocketable, affordable camera, but offering a little bigger sensor than many compact cameras, a useful set of controls, and the ability to shoot RAW files.

If you are looking to step up in quality, and price, to something like the Sony a6000, it would be worth looking at some of the recent generation of large sensor compact cameras with non-interchangeable lenses. For me, having a one lens camera while hiking greatly simplifies everything--no need to slow down to change lenses, no worries about dust getting in, etc. Cameras in this class include Canon G7X, Panasonic LX-100, Sony RX100 III, and Canon G1X MkII. They have slightly different strengths and weaknesses, but all are capable of DSLR-like image quality.

forester

Post by forester » November 23rd, 2014, 6:04 pm

I have a Nikon AW100 (I think they're on AW120 by now). It is a lot like a CoolPix. I like it a lot, though like all Nikons, there are some frustrating firmware limitations. Big advantage to the AW100 is that it is drop-resistant and waterproof. I just hook it to a caribiner and stick it in my pocket and don't really worry about injuring it. Get some funny looks when I pull it out and dunk it in the water to take pics, then wipe off the lens with my shirt and take above-water pics. Another advantage of a camera like that is I let my 3-year old have it whenever I'm not hiking. Some reviewers don't think it takes good pictures, but I think it does just fine.

jamesthehiker

Post by jamesthehiker » November 23rd, 2014, 8:52 pm

Thank you for all the feedback and thoughts, this information is really helpful for researching other cameras. Good points on the interchangeable lense; this is not a feature a really want or need so will look at some of those you all recommended. Thank you!

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » November 23rd, 2014, 9:39 pm

jamesthehiker wrote:Well the Nikon Coolpix S52 passed on and I’m looking for a replacement; this camera worked well because of the size and ease in use. The Sony A6000 with 16-50 looks like a nice upgrade replacement but wanted to reach out to those who are into our outdoor hiking trails to get your thoughts. My iPhone 5 has worked decently lately but I’m looking for more on most occasions. I also have a DLSR Nikon D5000 but use it only on rare occasions because of the size. The key is to have something that I can access easy (hooked to shoulder straps or in a pocket) and is simple to use. Any other cameras you would suggest?
I went through this earlier this year. I wanted something better than my Canon S100 but lighter than my Nikon DSLR gear. I looked at a lot of options and the best bang for the buck for me was the Sony A6000. Most of the photos I posted this year have been with the A6000. It's a great little camera and I really like it.

My standard hiking setup now consists of the A6000, a 10-18 lens, a 18-105 lens (usually attached), 55-210 lens, a MeFoto backpacker tripod. I carry the camera with the 18-105 attached to it along with the 10-18 in a small ThinkTank pouch that I put on my sternum strap. The 55-210 gets put in my daypack. All of this is much lighter than a DLSR setup and it covers nearly everything that I want to do.

Battery life is not very good so an investment in an extra battery or two was needed. Like I said, I'm very happy with this setup. Let me know if you have any detailed questions about the A6000.
Thanks,
Mike J

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » November 25th, 2014, 9:36 am

It you just want a point and shoot, any of the Panasonic Lumix models would work. If you are looking to upgrade to a DSLR, I would throw out the Pentax K30 as an option (or, the newer K50, which is an identical camera). It weighs about 2 pounds total, if I am using my standard 18-55mm lens (which is what I use most of the time). It slings over my shoulder rather easily and accompanies me on all hiking adventures. This camera is usually cheaper than other models in its class because Pentax doesn't have the name recognition that Canon and Nikon do but has many features other cameras do not. Internal leveler, HD video, an option for a GPS tracer for star trails, ridiculous low lighting capabilities, the ability to use 98% of Pentax lenses ever made in the past 50 years, easy toggle mode to RAW imaging and an ability to program two different user modes. It is also weatherproofed, which was what sealed the deal for me. While I wouldn't dunk it in a stream, the weatherproofing works very well against dust and water (disclaimer: shortly after coming off warranty, the seal failed on my LCD and some water seeped under during a steady downpour when I was using it. If you get it, take some silicone and seal it up just before the warranty expires. After a week spent sealed in a bag with dessicants, mine still works but the LCD is now hard to see).

I know pdxgene and VanMarmot use this camera, and I believe bobcat does as well. You can see the picture quality on any of their posts but I have attached a pic I took here of a sunset in northern Michigan this past September. Other than resizing, this image is straight off the camera and was shot in raw mode.

*Oops, just noticed your comment about not wanting to swap lenses. In that case, the Lumix would be my rec, as a friend has that and it is a great camera.*
Attachments
sunset.jpg
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

jdemott

Post by jdemott » November 25th, 2014, 6:03 pm

The Digital Photography Review website just posted a round-up of a number of cameras that might meet your needs, including most of those I mentioned above. It might be a useful comparison tool for you. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/572511 ... undup-2014

the hiking nurse

Post by the hiking nurse » November 30th, 2014, 9:46 pm

+1 on the nikon aw100. I've had one for a couple years and have put it through the ringer....from taking it swimming at Yale Lake to dropping it and kicking it across the granite in Yosemite.. It takes pretty good pictures and is definitely built to take the abuse of hiking/backpacking...plus it fits in the hip belt pockets on all my packs (it also has a large shutter button designed for use with gloves). It is definitely not DSLR quality, but I have been very pleased with its performance.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » December 1st, 2014, 1:27 pm

+2 on the Nikon AW100, which I use when I want decent pictures without the bulk. Another (more expensive) option would be the Olympus TG-3, which we used on our recent rafting trip. Both are rugged and waterproof, which I have found to be essential features.