Mt St Helens Monitor Ridge June 9

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
IslandCougGirl

Mt St Helens Monitor Ridge June 9

Post by IslandCougGirl » June 14th, 2014, 11:46 am

I still can't believe I did this hike. I ended up going by myself but met up with a very nice hiker from Pennsylvania who was hiking it also for the first time. I thought I had prepared myself for how steep it was going to be but I was nowhere close. Reality was sooooo different. We had some fog at the bottom but once past it, had beautiful blue skies and could even see what I think was North Sister right behind Jefferson (used binoculars). The thought of walking down was enough to try glissading which was a blast even with my thin capris! My behind was bruised but my heart light! My iphone took better pictures than my camera-go figure. All told, I am so glad I did this hike but now I'm good-no more mountains for me. Well maybe Mt Hood someday ;)

Pete and I at the bottom!

Go Cougs!

Awesome pano

Hood and Jefferson

Can't believe I climbed that!

Boulders were our friends (to sit on and breathe)
Almost to the monitor station
Adams peeking out
Was really questioning my sanity
Guess the only place I burned-hint, not my face.
My favorite mountain :)

IslandCougGirl

Re: Mt St Helens Monitor Ridge June 9

Post by IslandCougGirl » June 14th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Could also see a peak to the left of Jefferson-Mt Washington?

markesc

Post by markesc » June 14th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Good pics! and you made it, so that's all that counts! Try doing it in August, it's a nightmare with the heat/sun/exposure going back down the entire day, not to mention the knee destruction going downhill! Good pics, and I Bet the ones from the dslr are better, just take more work to get them there. Congrats! Now time to do South Sister! :mrgreen:

Craig Romano

Post by Craig Romano » June 14th, 2014, 8:26 pm

Congrats IslandCoug girl! The climb is a classic!
Question for you-I was thinking about trail running the Loowit from Swift Creek to Butte Camp. What is the snow level currently at? Thanks in advance for your reply.

IslandCougGirl

Post by IslandCougGirl » June 14th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Well there was snow all the way to timberline if that helps. I didn't use a DSLR on this trip just a Canon point and shoot-my T3i would be too heavy to carry up.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 15th, 2014, 6:05 am

Awesome! I just love how readily people make friends on that climb. Seems there's always someone or some group that you just naturally get in sync with on the way up. Great new avatar, too. Looks like an all-around great day! :)
IslandCougGirl wrote:Could also see a peak to the left of Jefferson-Mt Washington?
Probably Olallie Butte? This guy?
    Shot from about half as far away - Olallie Butte, Jefferson, and Three Finger Jack.
View from MSH.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

IslandCougGirl

Post by IslandCougGirl » June 16th, 2014, 5:28 pm

That probably was it although it looked like it was behind Jefferson but my eyes could've been playing tricks on me as tired as I was. Everyone we passed had a smile and a few words-was really nice.

Roy

Post by Roy » June 18th, 2014, 10:37 am

Glad to see you went and did it after you friend backed out and you had a great day :D

Thanks for sharing.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Sly

Post by Sly » June 20th, 2014, 8:49 am

Looks like you had a great time! I'm leading some friends up there next week. How was the parking situation? Was there a good boot track up to the summit?